Well, THIS is going to slow down my diving for a while

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a week of pain and discomfort and a couple of doctor visits, I'll be heading into surgery tomorrow (4-9-08). Nothing too serious, just a gall bladder removal (planned to be lathroscopic). My wife had this done just last year, so I know pretty much what to expect. While I'm anticipating resuming "normal" activity within a week or so, I've been wondering about the effect on diving. Does anyone have any information or first hand experience on this type of surgery and diving?
In any event, I'm ready to get it done and I'm happy they could get to it so quickly. Last Friday, during a major "flare-up", I was ready to remove the darned thing myself with an icepick and a pair of pliers! Talk to ya'll in a few days.

Guba, afraid I don't know much about how long you'll have to stay away from diving after the surgery, but wanted to wish you a safe and speedy recovery.

Guba,

Having gone through the same surgery myself and from my personal experience I would wait about six months before resuming diving. While the laproscopic approach does leave very little in the way of incisions to heal, what I found was that I was able to return to work and 'normal' activity quite quickly. What I also learned was that in activities such as diving it's not the swimming or the descent/ascent that bothered me but lifting and carrying the weight of the rig. This is where those small incisions remind you the the cut goes through the muscle, the same muscles that are helping you hoist all your gear! Ouch!!!
Your experience might be different, but my vote would be to start with swimming and then sorkeling, moving on to some pool dives in a thin suit with a small tank (AL50 or so) and then work up to your regular kit when you are feeling comfortable with it.

Oh, by the way, I'm right there with the icepick DIY idea!! One day I was almost ready to impale myself on an iron fence to get the infernal thing out!! Hope all goes well with your surgery.

In general, assuming no complications, the recommendation is to avoid heavy lifting for about six weeks after abdominal surgery. Unless there are wound complications or the patient has a wound healing problem (poorly controlled diabetes or chronic steroid use, for example) I see no reason to wait six months after laparoscopic cholecystectomy to resume diving. In a young, otherwise healthy and reasonably fit individual, it might be possible to resume sooner than six weeks, but an incisional hernia is a PITA, so it's probably worth the wait to avoid that complication.

Hey L.,

Six months might be a bit on the outside but I remember after my surgery it took about a week before I could get back to work. The job I had at the time required a lot of lifting, ladder climbing etc. and it did take a while to get back into it and during that time I knew if I had overdone it (my abdominals told me so!!!). Maybe I just took it easy but the thought of cinching up that waistbelt near those incisions and jogging around with 100 pounds of gear, well I kept putting it off. After that time, no issues. As a friend keeps telling me- tomorrow is another chance to make the dive that got scratched today.

We are pulling for you. Get well soon.

Good luck and here's to a speedy recovery!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom