Well this stinks!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raxafarian once bubbled...
all I saw for divers was a change from "no limit" to "10 per day". Everything else seemed to apply to commercial permits??

And an increase in the minimum catch size from 3 1/4" to 3 11/32" and then to 3 3/8" the next year ( 1/8" over two years).

I am going to go out on a limb here, but putting a maximum catch of 10 per day does not seem like a bad idea. Why do you need to bring home 30 lobsters? I have seen posts here that "touted" the fact of how many were caught as if it were a badge of courage.

I do a lot of all day boat dive trips!
A lot of the time we do 3 or 4 dives. i allway give the boat owners half my lobsters. Realy to go from no limit to 10????
Its the big commercial guys who are taking 99% of the lobsters!
Ps. It dosn't take courage to catch a lot of lobsters but it does take some skill and hard work!!!
Rick L

the limit is 6 in Florida. You guys still have it good :)

WW

What do you do with all those lobsters that you bring home? Do you really need them? You're right that the commercial industry does most of the damage, but 10 lobsters a day is pretty reasonable!

Does nothing to protect larger lobsters that should be left to reproduce. Fish studies have shown that reproduction increases when maximum size limitations are in place, rather than minimum size limitations. If they are trully concerned about allowing lobsters to reach molt and be able to reproduce, then you should see a limit that says all lobsters over 6" or some appropriate figure (how big does a Maine lobster grow anyway?) are no-take. That way you have a preserved breeding stock for next year's crop.

And in California, the daily limit for spiny lobsters is 7. Multi-day trip limit is 21. There is some discussion on the "catch and release" of large lobsters in the Californian Diving News this month.

Here's a 10lb lobster being released, although somewhat callously!

Scubaroo once bubbled...

If they are trully concerned about allowing lobsters to reach molt and be able to reproduce, then you should see a limit that says all lobsters over 6" or some appropriate figure (how big does a Maine lobster grow anyway?) are no-take.

There are upper limits in MA...have been for years.

In ME, divers are prohibited from catching lobsters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom