Well, what could go wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops. Let me move this where it belongs.

Last edited:
What's a debris/dip tube? How could it get clogged?

On the bottom of the tank valve there is a short "straw" that sticks down into the tank.

It's there to prevent rust and debris from getting into the valve. If you're very unfortunate, however, a bit of debris could theoretically land right in the little straw (dip tube) and clog it, essentially cutting off your air supply.

I've heard one or two stories of this actually happening.

You can see the dip tube on this picture:

AA95.jpg

On the bottom of the tank valve there is a short "straw" that sticks down into the tank.

It's there to prevent rust and debris from getting into the valve. If you're very unfortunate, however, a bit of debris could theoretically land right in the little straw (dip tube) and clog it, essentially cutting off your air supply.

AA95.jpg

A more likely scenario is that the dip tube comes unscrewed from the bottom of the valve and is rolling around inside the cylinder. Once that happens, it's not difficult for a bit of rust or aluminum oxide that's built up inside the cylinder to clog the hole where the air goes into the valve.

If you hear something rolling around in there, you should drain the cylinder, remove the valve, and re-install the dip tube ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am one of the "unfortunate" ones. Let's just say that I'm now convinced that at least one of the charter services on the Yucatan Peninsula doesn't employ the same standards of tank maintenance we normally use "up here" in the States. However, in a strange sort of way I'm also fortunate, because that kind of experience is a great teacher, and it also reinforces that there really IS a reason for those tank inspections we pay for on a regular basis.

A friend's wife went from 2500PSI to nothing almost instantly last week in BVI. The shop told her nothing was wrong with the cylinder. My armchair diagnosis was a clogged dip tube.

So you surface close to where you think the boat is...and a fog bank has settled in & you can't see the boat. (true story)

Surface under the boat & hit your head on the prop.

Unexpected thermocline & the dive suit isn't adequate, but one (or both) of the team decides to "tough it out" causing difficulty getting out of the water. (Like you haven't seen that on before)

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
Bob's always had the hots for Karen, but he doesn't have the courage to approach her. Finally at depth, he's a bit narced, she's looking mighty fine in that skin tight dive skin, he approaches her from behind, and cups her breasts with his hands. She turns around and instinctively slaps at his face, knocking his mask off and his regulator out of his mouth.

The mask falls to the bottom of the Atlantic, Bob panics because he cannot see and he can't find his regulator, Karen tries to help him but Bob's flailing hands catch her in the face knocking off HER mask and regulator as well, the two of them drown before they can get it all sorted out.

Bob and Karen suface and realize that they have surfaced on the wrong boat. They decide to get back in the water and swim to their boat. The surface current is strong and they decide to submerge to 15ft and make the swim underwater. Bob who is air hog lags behind Karen, they get separated, he and runs out of air.
They should have just bought the first boat a six-pack as the rules state and ask for a ride back to their boat.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom