Welland and Sherkston Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

invasion_1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. New to the board.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the current temp and vis. for Sherkston and Welland Scuba Park ?

I have heard that Sherkston is bad vis. this time of year. Can anyone confirm ?
Also, is Welland Scuba Park free and open to anyone ? What's there to see ? Pics ?

Thanks !

Scott

I was at Welland on Friday (Aug 30). Visibility was 15-20 feet, and water temp was 72 F. I got maximum depth 34 feet. As far as I know, anyone can dive there. Good parking. Great boat ramp and two small docks to gear up and enter. Lots of big interesting water plants along the side of the canal down to about 20 feet. Rock bass, small mouth bass, and pickerel. There is a wreck about 100 yards S of the docks, buoyed off, near the middle of the canal, in great condition. There is a swing bridge farther S with lots of old pilings, more fish hanging around, and some interesting junk. It reminds me of the CSL docks at Sarnia, but without the current. Overall, a nice, relaxing dive.

Ditto on the relaxing part! Yesterday (Sunday 8/30/09) was our first trip to the "park". We were all very impressed. The site is clean and the diving is great. Viz was the same 15-20 feet and bottom temps @30 feet were 74 F. The wreck is exactly 180 degrees from the concrete ramp. VERY easy to get to. We explored along the base of the weeded slope southward toward the swing bridge. Tons of sculpins (I think) in the rocks - very science fiction-like - and we watched a pike or pickerel lying in a weed clearing in about 20 feet.

The only negative is the condition of the outhouse. Very bad odour problem. Not filthy, just smelly. However - it does beat making a run to Tim Horton's.

We loved this place and plan to return often. It is a wonderful - free - alternative to Sherkston or Windmill. By the way, is Welland the Tim's capital of the world? there seems to be one on every corner!

Enjoy the Scuba Park - congrats to the folks in Niagara for getting this going.

Neil

Glad you guys enjoyed the welland scuba park . The scuba parks vis is going to be getting better now till the ice hits last year when we were putting in the line to the attractions we had over 50 feet of vis on most day in late november and early dec.

AS for the Tim's situation being from welland we have a abundant amout of them but most divers hang out on the one on the corner of prince charles and lincoln st

If your interested on more info and comming chnages to the park most of the stuff is listed on our board .

Scuba Ontario - Powered by vBulletin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom