were would you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mako1

Contributor
Reaction score
planning a trip for xmas week next year! 5 families total 28 people, all related. 6 divers,15 kids,and 7 non diving adults. need an AI resort, try to get this many ready for a meal is a two hour headache. the more kid stuff the better, large pools, and great beach is a must! it must be a nice hotel like a rating of 4 out of 5. the other big factor is close ocean diving i would like to do 2 dives a day and not be gone all day. thanks for the help. mike

Fiesta Americana and Dive with Martin, or Christi (Blue XTaSea) or Dive Paradise.
I waited to long to get Christi ( too many people trying to get their collective carp together). :)
But FA will do nicely and with that many peeps only way is AI.
Have Fun and DIVE DIVE DIVE OH and Dine once in a while too.
:dazzler1:

There are several newer, large AI resorts down the coast from Playa del Carmen to Tulum. The resorts themselves offer more amenities and activities then hotels on Cozumel. There's also the added benefit of lots of interesting off-site diversions - Xel Ha, Tulum, Coba, Aktun Chen dry caves, great snorkeling, cenotes (diving and snorkel tours) and several very nice beaches, also more touristy shopping and restaurants and bars if you want them in PDC. All depends on the ages of the 15 kids and interests of the adults. If you're at an AI it doesn't really matter where it is because you're going for the resort, but, if your groups wants to take in a bit of Mayan culture or see a less developed (compared to Cancun, Cozumel) area of the Roo, it could be a good option.

The ocean diving around Akumal is pretty nice. No walls or really deep dives, but the reefs are very healthy. I have no personal experience with the AI's. We rent a condo on the beach in Akumal every year the week before Xmas (low season prices and no crowds at all). At least 3 turtles every dive. Every type of angel fish in abundance (schools of 8-10 gray angels), lots of eels, rays, grouper, baracuda and all the usual tropicals too. And, some of the largest elk horn coral I've seen anywhere. Dives are usually at 9, 11 and 2p. Easy drift dives with depths 50-70, and we avg 50-60 min dives. Sites are at most 10 min boat rides. Eagle rays come right up into the bay just a couple feet from the beach. So do large turtles. At night in Half Moon Bay you can snorkel and see tons of stuff. You could also take the ferry over to Coz a couple days if you wanted to for diving or just a day trip.

When we first started going to the Riviera Maya, I found www.locogringo.com to be very helpful. Lots of general info on the area as well as extensive listings, descriptions, photos, reviews on AI's, hotels, condos and villas from PDC and south down to Mahahual (sp?)

scubawife:
There are several newer, large AI resorts down the coast from Playa del Carmen to Tulum. The resorts themselves offer more amenities and activities then hotels on Cozumel. There's also the added benefit of lots of interesting off-site diversions - Xel Ha, Tulum, Coba, Aktun Chen dry caves, great snorkeling, cenotes (diving and snorkel tours) and several very nice beaches, also more touristy shopping and restaurants and bars if you want them in PDC. All depends on the ages of the 15 kids and interests of the adults. If you're at an AI it doesn't really matter where it is because you're going for the resort, but, if your groups wants to take in a bit of Mayan culture or see a less developed (compared to Cancun, Cozumel) area of the Roo, it could be a good option.

The ocean diving around Akumal is pretty nice. No walls or really deep dives, but the reefs are very healthy. I have no personal experience with the AI's. We rent a condo on the beach in Akumal every year the week before Xmas (low season prices and no crowds at all). At least 3 turtles every dive. Every type of angel fish in abundance (schools of 8-10 gray angels), lots of eels, rays, grouper, baracuda and all the usual tropicals too. And, some of the largest elk horn coral I've seen anywhere. Dives are usually at 9, 11 and 2p. Easy drift dives with depths 50-70, and we avg 50-60 min dives. Sites are at most 10 min boat rides. Eagle rays come right up into the bay just a couple feet from the beach. So do large turtles. At night in Half Moon Bay you can snorkel and see tons of stuff. You could also take the ferry over to Coz a couple days if you wanted to for diving or just a day trip.

When we first started going to the Riviera Maya, I found www.locogringo.com to be very helpful. Lots of general info on the area as well as extensive listings, descriptions, photos, reviews on AI's, hotels, condos and villas from PDC and south down to Mahahual (sp?)

thanks for the help, i want to get everything set up by mid march, thanks again. mike

mako1:
planning a trip for xmas week next year! 5 families total 28 people, all related. 6 divers,15 kids,and 7 non diving adults. need an AI resort, try to get this many ready for a meal is a two hour headache. the more kid stuff the better, large pools, and great beach is a must! it must be a nice hotel like a rating of 4 out of 5. the other big factor is close ocean diving i would like to do 2 dives a day and not be gone all day. thanks for the help. mike

Hi Mike,

We have vacationed at the Bahia Principe Akumal:
http://www.bahia-principe.es/ingles/akumal_descripcion.html

There is also the Bahia Principe Tulum adjoining Akumal:
http://www.bahia-principe.es/ingles/tulum_descripcion.html

The Bahia Divers are located right between the 2 resorts:
http://www.bahiadivers.com/english/index.html

Puerto Adventuras is another option with 2 dive shops at that local:
http://www.puertoaventuras.com

Tom

You should possibly also investigate the Royal Mayan (Mayan Palace) I've never stayed there but know lots of families go there, great pool, close to everything as well. And only 10 mins to the diving in Puerto Morelos. If you change your mind and start to investigate condos - have a look at Villas Playasol here in Puerto Morelos - we had lots of big family groups there recently, it worked very well for them as it is only a short walk to the village, everyone just feeds themselves from the kitchen, or outdoor barbecue and all the restaurants are just a walk away as is the dive shop and a beautiful wide white sand beach right in front with good shore snorkelling as well!.....cat

Back
Top Bottom