West End and the north coast, Grand Bahama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpodos

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been doing some research on finding dolphins in natural settings (take a guess why! :) ), and it seems to me that the Little Bahama Bank, north of Grand Bahama, bounded by West End, Grand Bahama, and Walker's Cay, Abaco, looks like a great bet.

There are several live-aboards that focus on this area, but land-based is another story.

I've been doing some research on hotels and dive ops in the area. Obviously, Walker's Cay is easy. But I am having a really tough time finding alternatives in West End and in fact along the entire northern coast of Grand Bahama.

Anybody have any ideas or experience?

Richard

Check out Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures (www.scuba-adventures.com). They do liveaboard trips out of West Palm Beach. Some of the trips are arranged to have several afternoons of snorkeling with the wild dolphins you are talking about off West End. I've been on the trip twice and had a blast both times. When you're not snorkeling with dolphins you're diving on beautiful reefs, walls, and wrecks and with reef sharks. Some trips even go over to Tiger Beach if you're interested in diving with tiger sharks (no cages). Check out their website for details and the various itineraries.

Yep... JASA jumped out right away. I've just been wondering if there are any land-based ops.

For 4 years back in the 90's I worked on a liveaboard in the Bahamas. We did trips with the dolphins all summer long and based out of Port Lucaya and West End. In West End we were at the ruins of Jack Tar Village and now it is a beautiful resort and marina. They don't have a dive op there but use UNEXSO back in Freeport. When we used to stay there I remember meeting a group that were doing dolphin research from shore but where we saw most of the dolphin action was up on the white sand ridge of the little bahama bank. Maybe somebody in the marina is offering day trips.

http://www.oldbahamabay.com/statichome.htm?flash=true

For shore based your best bet is probably Bimini. We used to swim with wild dolphins there a lot too. Bill and Nowdla Keefe have a terrific operation.

http://www.wilddolphins.com/

Thanks freefall... Old Bahama Bay seems sort of expensive (albeit super-nice).

I've continued researching, and I am just totally shocked that there are evidently no hotels, no dive shops, no nothin' along the north coast of Grand Bahama. Especially in West End... besides the old Bahamanian charm of the town, it would seem an ideal spot to dive either the shallows south of White Sand Ridge and the deeper water toward Florida.

rpodos:
Thanks freefall... Old Bahama Bay seems sort of expensive (albeit super-nice).

I've continued researching, and I am just totally shocked that there are evidently no hotels, no dive shops, no nothin' along the north coast of Grand Bahama. Especially in West End... besides the old Bahamanian charm of the town, it would seem an ideal spot to dive either the shallows south of White Sand Ridge and the deeper water toward Florida.

Hi Rich,
Grand Bahama has several dive opps and fill places,The Island has rooms on the canal from $75.00 USA not bad,But the darn Tax on the boat for customs is NUTS!! check that out first.
UNEXO has a dolphin deal were they have Traped dolphins that they let out at night=BS! !they have never let them out SAD!so dont go or use them this is cruel!
Been going to the Island for 17+ years,have pals that own property prior to the re-pat of the Island
About 5 Years ago, we Did run into a small pod of speckeled Dolphins East Of Lucayan National park/Island runing fish into the shallows,This was a blast to be with them,
A pal use to run over from PalmBeach on the weekend with a group and we would stay on the West end ,Its now realy changed from the old JackTarr resort of past,but was hit bad last year in the storms,and the whole Island has taken a big hit with one major resort still closed 1000 room place,
Many folks do not know that the Island's of the Bahamas beaches are all public,Grand Bahama has 50+ miles of white sand beaches,less the trash from the crusie ships of years ago,and you will not see a hotel,home or a soul on them! Weather is the same as PalmBeach FL,and you can fly or boat from the USA less than $99.00 USA! not bad,thats why we go back year after year,The out Islands are great but eat at my pocket book to get to them,
Have fun,hope you find the Dolphins!
East of PortLucaya 10 miles
Brad

I am still finding this frustrating... Here is some of the research and thinking thus far:

First, a map of dolphin territory around Grand Bahama:

Next, a map of GBI... the points that seem most logical to me are West End, the northern peninsula in the middle, Water Cay, and the NE peninsula:

Next, a map of the Abacos... points of interest include Walker's Cay (closed due to hurricane damage), Crown Haven, Cave Cay, Hard Bargain, Moore's Island, and Sandy Point (there's been a cetacean research site there for over ten years!).

So... along this WHOLE STRETCH of what is supposed to be fantastic beach, with dolphins (and some other cetaceans) pretty much all over the place, there are no friggin' hotels, and no dive ops??!!

What gives? :(

I gotta learn how to sail. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom