West Maui Black Rock shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
I enjoy the night dive at Black Rock but there are other shore dives in the area I prefer for day dives.

But I am diving in Oregon tomorrow so...... I'm jealous no matter where you dive it's going to be better than mine.

No wait, proper mental state here, I'm going to have more fun diving Oregon than you are Maui. Yes I am, I'm ready!!!

Gotta check those drysuit seals......

I'll help your mental state Al . . . My dive yesterday was the coldest I've done so far - a bone chilling 77degrees. If it had been longer than a 48min dive I would have needed my 3mil shorty (I dive with a 1/2 mil full suit most days)

Does that help? guess not . . . but hey you are welcome to come over here tomorrow instead!

Aloha, Tim (I'm being a real stinker aint' I?)

kidspot:
Went out yesterday to Kihei (because I heard the vis was better down south after our last storm) and didn't see a single fish in our 48min dive. Finally came back in - vis was 15ft
Where did you go, Tim? Yesterday (Friday) Ulua was really active around 10AM. 2 mantas repeatedly cruised overhead, pretty much ignoring a couple snorklers and 2 divers. There was a school of about 50 little squid, with a whitemouth eel half out of his hole trying to snap some. And the usual 3 or 4 turtles were hanging out in their usual spot on the outer reef. Only 20-30' viz, but lots of activity.

A couple snapshots from my point and shoot are attached. Mike Roberts, aka Tortuga Roja, was out there getting some good shots with his big camera and dual strobes.

Charlie

Charlie99:
Only 20-30' viz,

I love it when you Guys preface 20 to 30' vis with "ONLY" :)

...damn I hope Kona is more than 30' when I go next month :11:

kidspot:
I'll help your mental state Al . . . My dive yesterday was the coldest I've done so far - a bone chilling 77degrees. If it had been longer than a 48min dive I would have needed my 3mil shorty (I dive with a 1/2 mil full suit most days)

Does that help? guess not . . . but hey you are welcome to come over here tomorrow instead!

Aloha, Tim (I'm being a real stinker aint' I?)

You're a true buddy Tim.

So your water is nearly 40 degrees warmer than mine.

I enjoy diving even in the cold as I dress for it, the only real hassle is dressing for it :)

I did Black Rock last time I was in Maui 4 times as solo dives. Such an easy dive.

Look out at the boats moored off shore... see what direction the bow is facing. Generally speaking, the bow end points into the current, so the current direction would run bow to stern. Use that to judge your entry side, either the Sheraton, or Airport beach side.

I actually started about 2000 feet from Black Rock on the Airport Beach side, and slowly snorkle drifted down current until I was closer to black rock. Saw several turtles, and it made for a nice relaxing soak.

I don't have my dive log in front of me, but it seemed like once I submerged, it was a very long, shallow dive. I think max depth was 35-40 feet, as others are saying.

Watch out for snorklefish once you hit the Sheraton side though... some of them are way too thrilled to see scubafish. I must have picked a crappy time of day... they were everywhere. I was the only diver there when I went, had the whole face of Black Rock to myself... fish everywhere.

I'm going back in March... planning on diving Black Rock several more times.

*shakes fist at all you who actually have liquid water near you... all ice here*

-Brandon.

The good news is, and it is good news, is that I booked a condo today. We will be in the condo in north Kihei from May 23rd through June 20th and then we'll head over to our stupid timeshare for two more weeks.

Yeah, the water won't seem so cold tomorrow now :)

Actually we were off the old Kihei Warf - it looked interesting . . . it wasn't ;-)

We had considered sugar beach, but it was all stirred up and we had never been there before.

I have not been to Ulua for over a month now - maybe it's time to go again. My last night dive was there and a 4ft eagle ray nearly hit me chasing my light - it was a great view.

Aloha, Tim

Charlie99:
Where did you go, Tim? Yesterday (Friday) Ulua was really active around 10AM. 2 mantas repeatedly cruised overhead, pretty much ignoring a couple snorklers and 2 divers. There was a school of about 50 little squid, with a whitemouth eel half out of his hole trying to snap some. And the usual 3 or 4 turtles were hanging out in their usual spot on the outer reef. Only 20-30' viz, but lots of activity.

A couple snapshots from my point and shoot are attached. Mike Roberts, aka Tortuga Roja, was out there getting some good shots with his big camera and dual strobes.

Charlie

Charlie99:
OTOH, some scubafish just love to play with the 120 pound bikinifish. For a little extra fun next time, sneak up on one and purge your reg. :banana:

is that something that causes the bikinifish to become a nakedfish with a bikini next to them? I've heard rumours of such a manoeuvre, but never seen it in action.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom