West Maui Black Rock shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott, When is your son taking DIR F? He's got the horizontal/frog kick position goin' on! Jets too no less!! Very cool! You gotta get that retracor off his SPG though :)

Black Rock is an awesome dive! My Wife and I did it as a night dive a couple times. Easiest beach dive I've ever done in my life. Cool wall dive as you follow the point. Just a super cool spot. Kidspot...you are lucky man!

Watch out for falling kids!!! They jump off the point.

I'm pretty fortunate to live so close to so many great beach dives. Actually Black rock is one of my less favorites because it's about a 1/4 mile walk in the sand with all my gear from the nearest public parking . . . but at least it's good excercise.

Say Scott, think your son would like to take DIR-F on Maui? . . . lol I know he won't be old enough for a few years and I don't want to wait that long . . . but there's gotta be 5 divers who'd enjoy taking DIR-F while on a maui vacation right?

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
I'm pretty fortunate to live so close to so many great beach dives. Actually Black rock is one of my less favorites because it's about a 1/4 mile walk in the sand with all my gear from the nearest public parking . . . but at least it's good excercise.

Aloha, Tim

Tim, Aside from the walk it's a pretty cool dive though, don't ya think? Now that you mention it, how do you get down there if you don't lug the gear through the Sheraton? Do you have to park at Whalers Village and walk through the mall? When we were there we used the Sheraton's valet parking and just rented tanks from that little shack on the beach (rip off).

CALI68:
Now that you mention it, how do you get down there if you don't lug the gear through the Sheraton? Do you have to park at Whalers Village and walk through the mall? When we were there we used the Sheraton's valet parking and just rented tanks from that little shack on the beach (rip off).
That's another reason I prefer the golf course entry. You just keep going on the main road past the main Sheraton entrance and you can drop your gear off just a short walk across the green from the entry point. Then you can see if there is a spot still left in the free "beach users parking" section of the Sheraton's garage. That parking entrance is off the main road, just north of the Whaler's Village parking.

It's still a pretty long walk back to the garage after you exit at the Sheraton dive shack.

CALI68:
Scott, When is your son taking DIR F? He's got the horizontal/frog kick position goin' on! Jets too no less!! Very cool! You gotta get that retracor off his SPG though :)

Unfortunately, he has to wait till he's 16, so he has about 4 more years. As for the retractor...the regs belonged to seavonj and it was the best way to rig it at the time. At first we were not going to take his gear, but decided to at the last second.

boomx5:
Unfortunately, he has to wait till he's 16, so he has about 4 more years. As for the retractor...the regs belonged to seavonj and it was the best way to rig it at the time. At first we were not going to take his gear, but decided to at the last second.

Very cool man!

Sorry if I asked you this already (I can't remember) but are you interning our DIR F class on the the 21st(22nd, 23rd)?

Charlie and Tim, My wife and I are diving in Kona with Dive Tek in Feb. You should come over for a couple dives. It would be a bit of a surface swim from Maui but if you leave now..... :)

I enjoy the night dive at Black Rock but there are other shore dives in the area I prefer for day dives.

But I am diving in Oregon tomorrow so...... I'm jealous no matter where you dive it's going to be better than mine.

No wait, proper mental state here, I'm going to have more fun diving Oregon than you are Maui. Yes I am, I'm ready!!!

Gotta check those drysuit seals......

CALI68:
Charlie and Tim, My wife and I are diving in Kona with Dive Tek in Feb. You should come over for a couple dives. It would be a bit of a surface swim from Maui but if you leave now..... :)

hmmm - I could use the excercise . . . and it would probably be shorter than that walk to black rock . . . lol

Really I'd love to, but don't think it'll happen - I hear Kona has some incredible diving.

Went out yesterday to Kihei (because I heard the vis was better down south after our last storm) and didn't see a single fish in our 48min dive. Finally came back in - vis was 15ft (bad for around here - I know all you Pacific NW guys would drool over 15ft vis. some days) Now word has it another storm is heading our way and should hit tomorrow - so it may be awhile before conditions smooth out again around here.

I think I'll try up North tomorrow - maybe Black Rock and see what it's like. -

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom