Western Caribbean Cruise and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbobst

New
Reaction score
My family and I are going on a Princess Cruise in February. I am a diver, but my family is not. Our port stops are: Costa Maya (Mahajual), Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.

As a diver, Belize has always been one of those places that sounds like a must dive destination, and because of the strange ship schedule (6:30am arrival and 1:30pm departure), I think I am going to go on the cruise ship sponsored dive trip. It's $149 for two dives, but since the cruise ship is tendered that day and not docked, the dive boat leaves directly from the ship, which means that I don't have to deal with the tender boats and crowds. If anyone has any additional thoughts on this, I would appreciate the advice.

For the other destinations, I would really prefer to find in-expensive beach dives so that I am not away from my family for hours at a time on a dive boat, and so we can enjoy the beach and snorkeling together. It sounds like there are a couple good places in Grand Cayman that are fairly close by the cruise ship tender dock, so I'll probably go to the Sunset House area for a "beach" dive. I realize there aren't beaches here for the family, but I was thinking I could dive first, then we could get a taxi and go to seven mile beach.

It also seems like Cozumel is not much of a beach dive location, but I was thinking that maybe Chaakanab would be good, considering they have a dive shop on site. However, I read that they require that you go out with a dive master? Why won't they simply let me go do some shallow beach diving (it beats snorkeling)? I assume this will cost extra money, at which point it would make more sense to just go on a boat trip. Do they let you snorkel without a guide at Chaakanab?

Costa Maya doesn't seem to have much beach diving, but I could be wrong.

I have never been to the Caribbean before, and since we only have about 6 quality hours at each location, I am just trying to figure out the cheapest and best plan of action for our cruise.

Thanks!

I did Belize in August from a cruise ship. I go on the ship's dives whenever I can. There is less to go wrong, like the ship arriving late or leaving before the dive ends.

Many locations require divers to be accompanied by licensed local guides. You will get more out of a dive with a knowledgable local guide.

There have been a number of posts in the last month regarding cruising and diving. E.g. do not bring a dive knife; make sure you order two lobster tails on lobster night. Look for the threads.

Cozumel really isn't a beach dive place. I have been there fifteen times. You can dive at the park but the real diving is by boat. Casa Del Mar and Aqua Safari are both good shops and there are many others too. Aqua Safari offers afternoon quick dives that really don't kill your day.

For Costa May you can beach dive but going through DFreamTime Diving is quick. Dives are 50 minutes and surface intervals are done at the shop. There is a great beach in front of the shop where the family can hang out.

Most Cruise Lines use Don Foster Diving in the Caymans. Once again, this is pretty much a boat dive place. Foster's does a reasonable job and I have dove with them twice.

Belize is done through Parkey's dive operation and Carnival charges $149. The plus is that their boats come right up to the cruise ship and you are instantly away, even before the first tender gets loaded. His operation is good. There is another in town but it will consume your time due to the tenders.

Do not be afraid of doing your own thing in Cozumel and Costa Maya. Just keep your clock set to ships time.

Hope this helps.

jbobst,

What week are you going on the cruise? Are you on Explorer of the Seas? I will be on that cruise 2/12 and I'm looking for dive options also.

KMed

Actually, we'll be on the Grand Princess (departing on 2/11 - arriving in Belize on 2/14). Thanks for checking with me though.

Back
Top Bottom