Westmoreland 170 year old Whiskey Salvage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txdamselfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can you imagine drinking 170 year old American whiskey kept cool by temps of Lake Michigan. mmmmmmm
I sure hope the divers that go down to 200 feet get to taste.

agreed, never thought that divers in 1874 would able to retrieve the engine & boilers at 200 feet and the video shows it wasn’t.
Here is another good video of her.

Can you imagine drinking 170 year old American whiskey kept cool by temps of Lake Michigan. mmmmmmm
I sure hope the divers that go down to 200 feet get to taste.
This is some sensationalist nonsense. The barrels would not hold up for 170 years as they were barely watertight in 1855. Ross is being candid on what he is actually doing, but I believe he is looking for sealed bottles of whiskey and not barrels. The state is being trepidatious in denying him a permit in case he wants to take them to admiralty court and claim outright ownership of the wreck.

This is some sensationalist nonsense. The barrels would not hold up for 170 years as they were barely watertight in 1855. Ross is being candid on what he is actually doing, but I believe he is looking for sealed bottles of whiskey and not barrels. The state is being trepidatious in denying him a permit in case he wants to take them to admiralty court and claim outright ownership of the wreck.

If you’re a believer in homeopathy, now the entire lake is actually all whiskey.

Thanks for sharing the article Jared, a whiskey made from local grain, Rosen Rye from S. Manitou Island sounds nice. Not to sure about a piece of old oak from a sunken ship, who knows what 1854 chemicals were used to coat her.

I would try an old Rye grain of whiskey. Reminds me of Chatoe Rogue, a Oregon Single Malt grown from an thier own barley farm. It was aged in oak for 3 months, but it had a good taste, quite a bite. All that was before the covids and the barley farm is no more....

The scary part is about the mussels who are clearing up the vis from eating the phytoplankton and are extracting phosphorus from the wood leading to the ships deterioration. We need James Cameron's underwater filming team to explore before she is gone and others like her, call it research for Avatar 3 - the history of the Jarhead clan.

Thanks for sharing the article Jared, a whiskey made from local grain, Rosen Rye from S. Manitou Island sounds nice. Not to sure about a piece of old oak from a sunken ship, who knows what 1854 chemicals were used to coat her.

I would try an old Rye grain of whiskey. Reminds me of Chatoe Rogue, a Oregon Single Malt grown from an thier own barley farm. It was aged in oak for 3 months, but it had a good taste, quite a bite. All that was before the covids and the barley farm is no more....

The scary part is about the mussels who are clearing up the vis from eating the phytoplankton and are extracting phosphorus from the wood leading to the ships deterioration. We need James Cameron's underwater filming team to explore before she is gone and others like her, call it research for Avatar 3 - the history of the Jarhead clan.
I talked to Ross when I saw that ridiculous article and thought he was going to do an Ehorn scale salvage on her. But if the state does not play ball, he hinted at outright ownership claim in admiralty court. I'm into wheat beers myself. Hefeweizen by Weihnestephner in Bavaria is my go to.

I'm not sure the zebra mussel stuff is all that accurate - many of the Great Lakes shipwrecks are coated in them and they're still well-preserved in the cold water. A lot of the doom-and-gloom in that article seems like hype to justify a salvage effort before "OMG it'll be gone forever!!". They're looking for a way to profit off the wreck, plain and simple. I can't imagine there will be a drop of usable whiskey in the barrels, so unless there are some really well-sealed bottles the idea of "recreating" old Rye recipes seems like a lark. I think the actual motivation would be to get at the safe, and "preserving the wreck" is a rationalization.

Back
Top Bottom