Wet lens use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skynscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I have a couple of questions regarding typical wet lens use.

Do you tend to remove/replace/swap lenses during a dive, or do you tend to just stick with one setup for one dive?

If you don't tend to swap, do you usually take along a different lens, just in case you want to use it?

How much easier is it underwater to swap AD (bayonet) vs. 67mm threaded lenses?

I'm just curious as to how most people actually use their lenses, and wondering whether I need to be concerned with AD vs. 67mm convenience, or whether I will be more likely to just be changing them on the surface.

I carry 2 macro lens and most of the time a wide angle lens as well. I swap off several times during the dive, you just never know what shot will present itself. Mine are 67mm so I can't comment on the difference but it does take some skill to keep off the reef and swap lenses......without dropping it. So far I have not dropped one but I always move to a spot where it will be accessable before swapping it just in case I drop it.

I take an Inon 165 on every photo dive. The bayonet mount is the way to go, especially with gloves on. Easy to insert lens and positive click lock in.

I just used my 67mm Ike W20 for the first time........

I did struggle with it a bit......

It is a heavy lens that I attached a lanyard to.....it was not so easy to thread on and off......

The rig with both strobes and W20 becomes unwieldy.....I could see where a simple bayonet mount would be much better......

The other item I struggled with was tiny air bubbles trapped between the housing lens and the W20 (see lower right corner of the attached first thumbnail).....

I ended up un-threading the W20 all the way, brushing my hand across the backside of the lens and re-thread it on, very carefully to avoid cross threading......

Bottom line is I never really wanted to take the lens off once on and bubble free......

FYI, small bubbles are really hard to see on the small camera LCD, didn't notice them until I saw them on a larger computer screen....

I also had to zoom to 35mm to avoid vignetting.....

On the plus side the WA lens made capturing scenes much easier......

Wouldn't dive without it now.......

Hope this helps......M

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Turtle_night.jpg
    Turtle_night.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 76
I use my W-20 on a dual handle tray with two strobes and it doesn't seem unwieldy .. but that is just my opinion. As far as the bubbles go, I burp the lens (Remove and reinstall) on the way down every dive. You get used to it just watch out for cross threading. A bayonet mount would probably be easier to manage. I never swap lenses, mostly because I don't have a Macro lens...Yet.

Depends on the camera, some cameras and housings cannot use any wet lens, others can use the AD type or others the 28AD type and yet others only the 67mm threaded type. Once in a while a camera comes along like the S90 and FIX housing that can use them all via a system of adapters and use them effectively to great advantage. Quite a feat.

N

I have two stackable macro lenses and a WA lens, all INON bayonet mount. I have the caddy on my strobe arm to hold all three lenses when not in use (macros are stacked on the caddy).

I normally install the WA lens while descending since that is the lens I use the most, it is easy to do and just requires about a half turn twist until you feel the 'snap' indicating the lens is fully installed and locked in place. Also on descent or early into the dive I unstack the macro lenses to ensure that I have any trapped air bubbles removed just in case I decide to install the stacked lenses at one time instead of doing them separately. Doing the lens install in the water helps to reduce the chance of trapped air bubbles, but doesn't eliminate it.

If I come across a macro opportunity I can have the WA lens removed and the macro lens installed in less than 10 seconds. Very easy to do and I can do it now without too much thought which allows me to pay more attention to my diving and setting up the shot.

I swap lenses on the majority of my dives. I use the WA most of the time because those opportunities are frequent. But what I really enjoy is macro and I never pass up the chance to use it. With the lenses being so easily swappable, it is a great setup for my use.

I have an AD port and I always bring a fish-eye lens and a closeup lens with me every dive and place one in the holder. It would take me between 4 and 5 seconds to swap lenses and I usually do this 1 - 4 time per dive.

I always carry wide angle and macro lenses with me and often swap them out several times during a dive. I use the bayonet mount system that came with the camera and have never lost a lens. Personally, I love the ability to swap lenses during a dive. As herman noted, you never know what you will see on a dive, and having the ability to swap lenses gives me the flexibility to get a shot regardless of what comes along.

Regards,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom