Wet Lenses for G15 OEM Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terryb

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Does anyone know if there are wet lenses that will fit the G15 OEM housing? I remembered at one time seeing a Fantasea product that fit the G12, strapped on to the port.

I have my OEM on order but can change it if required.

Thanks,

Just got an email from Fantasea and they make an adaptor for the canon's G15 housing as well as wet lenses. The lenses may not be as good as other ones out there but maybe you can use their adaptor with better lenses. Go to their website and check them out.

I have a subsee +10 and adaptor for it that was made for the G10 housing and it might fit yours... pm if interested and we can check the measurements on your housing to find out

The Canon housing will most likely take an M67 adapter that you can use for diopters, right now nobody has declared compatibility but am pretty sure the Dyron will work Adapter M67 for Canon WP-DC28/34/42 | DyronStore | Underwater accessories
For wide angle lens there are no options for the canon housing the fantasea or H20 domes only restore the air field of view of 75 degrees this can't be considered wide (wide is bigger than 90) degrees. This dome is acceptable for panoramic shots of reef and fish at more than 1-2 meters distance without flash.
The only option for the G series that used to take a proper fisheye was made by recsea and fix howeverit costs around $1,250 plus tax bluewaterphotostore sells them in US

Thanks for the info. I will be picking up my OEM housing later this week. Coralcruiser, could you let me know what measurements you are looking for and could you post a picture of your subsee +10 and adaptor.

Cheers

Here's some pics of the adaptor and the +10. When you get your housing, measure the outside of the port and send them to me.

Attachments

• P1000777.jpg
    P1000777.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 130
  • P1000779.jpg
    P1000779.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 101
  • P1000780.jpg
    P1000780.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 103
  • P1000781.jpg
    P1000781.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 106
The Fantasea dome will increase your angle of view a little, but not enough to be considered wide-angle imho. Same with the Ikelite housing. The Recsea G15 which we just received does allow you to replace the port with a nice fisheye lens, but the housing costs much more than the OEM housing. - Scott

I would not waste time with dome adapters as the G15 is a 28mm equivalent and that only gives 75 degrees diagonal.
I have looked at the ikelite housing and this one has an M67 thread for the first time.
The G15 has a lot of zoom so it is possible that even with the best lens for the job (Inon UWL-H100 28M67) the amount if fringing is significant because the lens will be far away from the port. For ikelite I would also try the Olympus wtc01 that bluewater photo sells, that lens is a monster but has incredible optical quality and a large exit at the back
I am pretty sure that Inon will be testing the canon oem housing for their LD bayonet version of the wide angle lens. inon are perfectionist so if no adapter comes out for the oem housing means their lens doesn't give good optical quality and it is not worth trying to connect their lens to any housing
The inon lens is the one with the largest rear element and does not vignette even with a 24mm lens from that point of view is the best candidate

Wide Angle Port 9306.35
This port allows attachment of the Ikelite W-30 and other 67mm threaded wide angle lenses with minimal vignetting and only slightly limiting the camera's normal zoom range.
This means that in order to place the port close enough you can't zoom fully, the canon housing as far as I know allows full zoom so it is possible that wet lenses will work with ikelite but not with canon
Best bets to work with Ikelite
Olympus Underwater Wide Conversion Lens PTWC-01 | Bluewater Photo & Video
The Olympus has a 50mm wide rear lens so it should not vignette in theory.
Inon UWL-H100 28M67 Type 2 Wide Angle Conversion Lens [ino.456212143633] - $521.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
The INON UWL-H100 28M67 has also a very wide rear element and it does not vignette with 24mm equivalent in the right conditions.
If I had to place my bets those should be the lenses that could work.

The canon housing allows for full zoom which means the camera lens would sit far from the port and potentially vignette or give bad fringing. Knowing Inon if that is the case they will not release a bayonet adaptor for it to avoid complaints

---------- Post added December 29th, 2012 at 12:21 AM ----------

just saw this INON Wide Conversion Lens UWL-S100 ZM80 [Overview]
There is a compatible mount for this lens and the G15 in OEM housing
Another interesting one
INON NEWS: M67 Lens Adapter Base DC48 for Canon WP-DC48

Seems like Inon has cracked the issue with zoom lenses that is extremely interesting

Last edited:
Glad to know that canon and inon have been collaborating on making accessories for the oem housing for the G15!!

The housing I ordered from canon should be here next week. If y old subsee adapter fits on it, I"m good to go. If not, I can always order the one inon is now making. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom