Wetsuit.. 3m or 5m?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WilDive4Food

Registered
Reaction score
As you can see by my sig, I am heading to the Med in April. I have never dove at any of these locations and wondered the opinion on suits. I currently have a Henderson Hyperstretch 3m. Will I need a 5m for some or all of these locations?
The wife thinks I'm nuts, but I am determined to dive them all during our cruise.
Any and all suggestions and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

btw.. I tend to get colder than the avg person for some reason. I'll be comfy in a suit while others are in shorts and a skin.

.. Jeff

You'll be fine at those locations with a 3mil in April,most of the time I'll use a 1 mill

Thanx CapnV.. would hate to lose any enjoyment from these dives from being cold from lack of prep.

Jeff... mind if I ask you what cruise that is? (ship/line). My wife and I are planning a similar cruise around that timeframe, and we're trying to get the most out of it...

We took Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas, last month to the Bahamas and Keys, however, only had one short dip in Nassau (had the kids with us-didn't give us much bandwidth), but loved the cruise.

We're planning the next in April or May (without the klingons) with a Belize/Coz/Keys (at least) wish list...

Oh... and btw, 3mm should be fine in all those destinations. April is usually cooler then later in the season, but you're probably still not talking anything lower then low 80's... We took 2ml shorties on the last cruise...

-Barry

Jeff,

I use a 3mm and do well in the locations you mentioned. My wife, however, tends to get cold and goes heavier. It might be worthwile picking up a 5mm suit. If you are looking for some rationalization for buying one, you can always use it for winter diving in the Keys if you tend to get cold. (I can rationalize ANY dive purchase) :D

Cheerz,

-Spady

BKP..
It's actually a combo of 2 seperate cruises and cruise lines LOL
1 that my wife and I scheduled nearly 4mos ago.. Carnival, and the ship was to be the Fantasy, but for some reason, the AAA agent called and told us it is to be replaced by the Sensation for that cruise.
The 2nd part is a whim from my In-Laws that booked a cruise on the Holland America lines.. I think the Zuiderdam ( something like that). They had a cruise booked for themselves and decided to bring us along... No Charge. Thank you very much in-laws.. LOL

edit.. now how many are wondering how to take 2 cruises at the same time.. LOL.. they are 2 days apart...our returning and then leaving..

WilDive4Food:
BKP..
It's actually a combo of 2 seperate cruises and cruise lines LOL
1 that my wife and I scheduled nearly 4mos ago.. Carnival, and the ship was to be the Fantasy, but for some reason, the AAA agent called and told us it is to be replaced by the Sensation for that cruise.
The 2nd part is a whim from my In-Laws that booked a cruise on the Holland America lines.. I think the Zuiderdam ( something like that). They had a cruise booked for themselves and decided to bring us along... No Charge. Thank you very much in-laws.. LOL

edit.. now how many are wondering how to take 2 cruises at the same time.. LOL.. they are 2 days apart...our returning and then leaving..
Ohhhhh... I was wondering how you got that list of places in one cruise.

We were on a cruise last month on the Majesty of the Seas (RCCL). We were docked right next to the Sensation at one port... looks like a great ship... Enjoy...

personally i would dive a 5mm or more. maybe even a 7mm semi dry in april. waters are around 22/23 i think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom