Wetsuit Alterations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubalaux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently bought a new Henderson insta-dry wetsuit off LP (not the best idea, i know) and when I received it, it was a bit big in the armpit area. I have worn Henderson Hyperstrech several times and a size 6 has always been perfect but because the Insta-dry has less stretch, I bought a size 8. Fits wonderfully around the hips, legs and rear but around my skinny arms, its baggy:shakehead:. So, that brings me to my question: should I send it back for the $200 I paid for it or is it worth looking into altering since it fits everywhere but my arms? Does anyone know the cost of altering a wetsuit or if it is even possible? The suit was pretty inexpensive and it may not be worth the money and wait to alter it. I just wanna get out and dive, damn it! Im tempted to just try diving with baggy arms! Any advice??

Buy the 8 and return the one that fits worse after you try them side by side now that you're playing wetsuit roulette.

I don't think Milwaukee is know for neoprene tailoring talent and tweaking costs will add up fast with shipping and charges.

You should get the size 6. Being as how both suits are Henderson you will be the same size. The instadry is supposed to fit snugly. For the first few times it will seem too small. Use slime, baby shampoo or something like that to help get into it.

I tend to agree with the other posters, I would probably send it back and try to find something locally that fits better. The challenge with wetsuit alterations is that it takes quite a bit of time to take them apart and re-sew/re-seal if you need to make limited alterations. That time gets expensive pretty quickly. We looked into offering this service a couple of years ago (my wife is a very talented seamstress and we work with neoprene for our scuba product line) and came to the conclusion that most divers wouldn't be willing to pay for the time it would take to do a really good alteration job.

Here is a link to a site that will give you a general idea as to what it may cost if you do want to have it altered: Sweet Stuff

I recently bought a new Henderson insta-dry wetsuit off LP (not the best idea, i know) and when I received it, it was a bit big in the armpit area. I have worn Henderson Hyperstrech several times and a size 6 has always been perfect but because the Insta-dry has less stretch, I bought a size 8. Fits wonderfully around the hips, legs and rear but around my skinny arms, its baggy:shakehead:. So, that brings me to my question: should I send it back for the $200 I paid for it or is it worth looking into altering since it fits everywhere but my arms? Does anyone know the cost of altering a wetsuit or if it is even possible? The suit was pretty inexpensive and it may not be worth the money and wait to alter it. I just wanna get out and dive, damn it! Im tempted to just try diving with baggy arms! Any advice??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom