Wetsuit "collar" - *gasp!* - help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are having problems breathing then you should go one size up. everything can look fine and fit but if you cant breath then you have problems.

I do know form experience that the fit of hooded vests, especially in the neck varries a lot from brand to brand and probably even between models for a given size/height/weight. I was thinking that the vest was the culprit but in your last post you indicate that the suit seems to be the bad boy.

Is it tight before closing the collar seal with the velcro tab, assuming that is your setup? You want to limit water exchange but too much of a good thing can be bad.

Is it a hooded vest worn under the suit or a hooded step-in shorty worn over the full suit?

As long as you have it home you could stuff a ball or bowl in the neckline to relax it a bit. :11:

Pete

LuvDaOcean:
Thanks to all...your help is really appreciated (doc, loved your reply & totally agree).

Actually, the structure of our class involves learning first-hand how to care for all gear and equipment which means that we tow it all home after every class and bring it back in at the beginning of each class as if it were our own equipment including full tank. I really like that approach since it will teach us valuable lessons in caring for our own gear once we get around to purchasing it.

So, I have the wetsuit & vest/hood here at home with me now. As soon as I can face it, I'm going to climb back into that thing and let it strangle me again if it so desires. The vest/hood combo didn't really seem to add much additional pressure around my neck when I tried that on...it was the main suit that was trying to asphixiate(sp?) me.

I just read a DAN report about wetsuits with collars that are too tight causing Carotid Sinus reflex and/or headache...scary stuff!

If you're having trouble breathing in a wetsuit and you haven't even started the dive...time to get another wetsuit.

spectrum:
Is it tight before closing the collar seal with the velcro tab, assuming that is your setup? You want to limit water exchange but too much of a good thing can be bad.

Is it a hooded vest worn under the suit or a hooded step-in shorty worn over the full suit?

As long as you have it home you could stuff a ball or bowl in the neckline to relax it a bit. :11:
Yep, it's tight before closing the velcro. It's the seam around the collar that's putting too much pressure on my neck. It's that really sensitive area right above my collar bone and just slightly below the area of the neck that you guys call your adam's apple (don't know what it's called for women).

The hooded vest is one piece and sleeveless and slips on top of the main suit. The brand of the suit and vest is Body Glove, if that helps any with my description.

A ball or bowl? You gotta be kidding........ :06:

Just got a new 7 mil one piece suit with a 5 mil hood today.
I too felt a little presure on my adam's apple. And yes they are tight and constricting, but they do change once you get in the water and can make aditional adjustments. This of course is from my limited experience, but good luck on getting comfortable.

LuvDaOcean:

I think (if you were miss-understaning him that is :wink: ) he means take something like a basketball or volleyball, place it inside the wetsuit, zip it all the way, then force the ball into the neck opening until it stretches it a few inches. Let it sit overnight and it should have stretched the neoprene enough to remove the constricting feeling. (Sort of like putting a plastic bag full of water into a pair of shoes that are too tight and sticking it in the freezer overnight... stretches it just a bit)

Hope you get this resolved and have a great time in your class....

Aloha, Tim

LuvDaOcean:
Yep, it's tight before closing the velcro. It's the seam around the collar that's putting too much pressure on my neck. It's that really sensitive area right above my collar bone and just slightly below the area of the neck that you guys call your adam's apple (don't know what it's called for women).

The hooded vest is one piece and sleeveless and slips on top of the main suit. The brand of the suit and vest is Body Glove, if that helps any with my description.

Some stiiffness or binding is sometimes experineced with a dry wetsuit and getting it wet makes a big difference. If we're talking about uncomfortable pressure then you need to go up a size or switch to another brand or model. Regardless of what happens in the water you need to get to and from the water including challenging entries and exits. Remember you will sometimes be under a hot sun as an added stressor. You must also capable of handling a distress situation and an unconfortably tight collar is a bad start.

It's swell that the provider is supplying all of this gear but if they are locked into this single suit maybe it's time to go shopping for your own. No one pattern will fit everyone.

Pete

[/QUOTE]
A ball or bowl? You gotta be kidding........ :06:[/QUOTE]

Actually it's been suggested before in the exposure suit forum, mostly to tweak drysuit seals as I recall.

LuvDaOcean:
Thanks to all...your help is really appreciated (doc, loved your reply & totally agree).

Actually, the structure of our class involves learning first-hand how to care for all gear and equipment which means that we tow it all home after every class and bring it back in at the beginning of each class as if it were our own equipment including full tank. I really like that approach since it will teach us valuable lessons in caring for our own gear once we get around to purchasing it.

So, I have the wetsuit & vest/hood here at home with me now. As soon as I can face it, I'm going to climb back into that thing and let it strangle me again if it so desires. The vest/hood combo didn't really seem to add much additional pressure around my neck when I tried that on...it was the main suit that was trying to asphixiate(sp?) me.

I just read a DAN report about wetsuits with collars that are too tight causing Carotid Sinus reflex and/or headache...scary stuff!

Ok, I had the same issues when I purchased my first wetsuit. It is a Semi-Dry wet suit with a neck seal. Perfect fit other than the neck so I took my sons soccer ball and wrapped the neck around it (you can also use a tank). I then left it like that for 2 days and I no longer have the choking problem. Good Luck!!!

LuvDaOcean:

Just be happy they didn't tell you to shrink your neck by using an ace bandage. :)
Just teasing!!!!

Glad to see you started class. My daughter happens to be in the same boat, but her problem seems to be ALL wetsuits. She does not like anything tight on her. I will never see her in a turtleneck, ever. But I will be putting her into a wetsuit with a HUGE neck on it. As she gets more comfortable and used to it she can move to a smaller size (like when she realizes that less water circulation is warmer). I may even need to go custom for her. The Henderson Hyperstretch is a great way to go too.

But the really important thing at this point is that you're comfortable. You may need to gently remind the dive shop that your comfort in the water isn't just about your body temperature!!! I think you're just being too nice to them. (You have that tendency.) Next week, go in, smile sweetly and tell them
'it needs to be BIGGER you don't want this rubber boa constrictor on again.' :wink: Then smile at 'em some more while you're handing it to them. :crafty:

The answer to any response, other than YES, will be, 'No, Bigger'.
Once they comply, a dazzling smile and a thank you are in order. :blinking:

You guys are serious about stretching it. lol!

Well, it sounds like a good idea, but the suit is a rental. Am I being a "wussy polly-anna goody two-shoes" by thinking that I probably shouldn't mess with something that doesn't belong to me?

edit - pennypue...hello, hello!! :) you totally crack me up, girl... ha! yes, I'm looking at a henderson hyperstretch but a 3mil (maybe 5mil max) because, as you know, I'm not really planning on diving locally. Brrrr...shiver...hypoT!! I'm starting to wonder why I can't just take the class in a 3 or 5 mil. Maybe if I ask nicely and smile a lot at the same time? :D

Back
Top Bottom