Wetsuit donning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chappy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,
I've just received a new Akona 7mm full jumpsuit. This thing is really awkward to put on. You guys/gals have any suggestions to help ease the process. i.e., baby powder, etc. Once on and zipped- it's snug, but comfortable.

Thanks.
~ Chappy

you've got a wetsuit that will keep you honest: Don't gain any weight!!

Baby powder is messy when wet. What are you wearing under your wetsuit?

It can be a wrestle to get into a wetsuit that fits snug. I would evaluate how "snug" your new suit is. If it's is too tight, you might want to exchange it before you use it. Snug is good, too tight is bad.:)

to go under the suit. Huge difference!

You can put plastic grocery bags on your feet and slid your suit up. I haven't done it, but I've heard of others doing it and they swear by it.

I do know this one guy and he would wear pantyhose under his wetsuit... Then again he would go diving in a thong as well.

... for lycra. I wear lycra tights and a long-sleeved rash top under my wetsuit and it just slides on. Hard to believe the difference it makes until you try it.

Wendy said...
I do know this one guy and he would wear pantyhose under his wetsuit... Then again he would go diving in a thing as well.

In a thing, or in a thong?

Z

My teen age son has these enormous size 13 feet and had trouble gettng them through this rather small wet suit legs. I ended up getting him a pair of slip socks from innovative scuba concepts. They are basically just nylon booties he puts on before sliding his feet through the wet suit. Once the suit is on, you just take them back off and don your wet suit boots. They work really well and are about $12.00 US.

Nix the plastic bag idea.....unless you take the bag off after you get the suit on. A plastic bag on the foot for extended periods of time...just a few hours will do nasty things to your foot skin.

I had a friend that thought it would be a good idea to do the same thing on a hike because we would be walking through shallow water....you wouldnt want your feet to turn out like his. Took a while to heal.

Skins are the way to go

"If it's is too tight, you might want to exchange it before you use it"

How do you tell if it's too tight? I just donned a wetsuit for the first time last night. My LDS supplied the rental suit, so I would imagine it fits right but I pretty much felt like a sausage. Especially in the chest and upper leg areas. Thanks.

- eric

Thanks all for the tips. It appears lycra is the answer, huh.

I put the suit on again, this time was much easier than the first. However, I think it's pushing the "too tight" limit. (not to mention my girlfriend laughing at the neoprene wedgie that was starting to develop ) I've deceided to exchange the suit for a larger size, and also purchase a dive skin.

~Chappy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom