Wetsuit fitting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sipadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi.

I'm a male diver after a new 5mm wetsuit (I'm in Melbourne, Australia). And i have a question about sizing and fitting.

My size measurements are 100cm chest, 95cm hips, 88cm waist.... (and in imperial - 39 inch chest, 37inch hips, and 34 inch waist). I'm a bit on the fat side at the moment due to lack of exercise. My current weight is 76kg.

My height is shorter - 5 foot 5 inch or 170cm.

I'm interested in getting the Salvimar Nebula wetsuit.

On the Salvimar site (see photo) their sizing charts has me on the LARGE size. But my height is Medium not Large.
kOVAHa

I was wondering whether I should choose a LARGE jacket which appears to be my size for chest, hips and waist. Or should I opt for the Medium size Jacket - the dimensions of which are slightly small for me but may give me a more snug and tight fit?

Screen_Shot_2017_06_07_at_3_04_29_am.png

(From the Salvimar Catalogue page) SALVIMAR - Free diving, Speargun, Wetsuit, Fin, Mask, Arbalete, Snorkel, Spearfishing, Diving, Scuba
kOVAHa

Last edited:
I would go for the large for sure.. Even the large is right at the cap at 100cm, but I think you would be fine, I would not go for a medium..

Chest and waist are normally considered more important than height.

Chest and waist are normally considered more important than height.

Uhm... if you're a camel perhaps. (As in: toe)

Would getting a Medium ensure a more snug fit?

The problem is there isn't one in the store. And they have to order it in.

I did try a Large in a different company wetsuit product. And while it was a good fit for the chest - there were air gaps in the neck, and arms.

Your call bud. But do not go off how another brand fits in "their" Large. Sizes in scuba are not universal. If your fit is too tight and snug, then you will be back after a dive or two complaining about not being able to breath well. If I could not put hands on the actual product then I would go by their size chart and if the chart is off I would return the item. Also, look for reviews of the product and people will normally say if something runs small, large or if it is right on.

Would getting a Medium ensure a more snug fit?

The problem is there isn't one in the store. And they have to order it in.

I did try a Large in a different company wetsuit product. And while it was a good fit for the chest - there were air gaps in the neck, and arms.

All I can tell you is I recently rented a 7 mm and L would've probably been OK in length but I could not get my forearms through the sleeves. So I went with XL in which the legs and sleeves were on the longer side of OK, my shoulders were squeezed together like the hunchback of notre-dame, and I couldn't sink until my buddy told me to pull the neck seal and let the air bubble out. (I haven't done this 7 mm thing in 5 years or so and needed to be told.) I've 34" waist which on most size charts is M, so in an XL there was a lot of air bubble down there.

5 mm will be a bit stretchier than that, but if I were you and had the budget, I'd consider frogskins and a hooded 3 mil on top instead. Or a 3 mil and a hooded vest and DGX pocket shorts...

Wetsuits are something that really have to be tried on. No matter what the size chart says, it is never guaranteed to be right

Back
Top Bottom