Wetsuit for the chubby but avg ht woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redstilettos

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I just got certified and took a few 'real' dives in Cozumel, but I have a couple of questions for all of you.

I am 5'6'' and go about 210 (although to be honest no one ever guesses that. I think I must be packed in here pretty tightly, lol). I purchased a 3mm wetsuit from a company online (gasp....the horror, right?) But other than being just a little long it isn't a bad fit really and worked very well in Coz. The 7mm did not fit AT ALL.

Because I live in Wisconsin I need a 7mm in order not to get frost bite in...oh...August :)

Are there wetsuits for women like me (carry most of my weight around my belly and thighs) that are shorter? Every time I look at some they end up being for really tall men.

Help?

Try Bare. They have sizes for women who aren't supermodels (like me.....). I had the same problem. Women's rentals stop at about size 13 (even my daughter, who's tall, had a challenge with them), and men's - forget it. Getting into a 7mm is already "fun," and the ones I could get into were about 6" too long. Kinda defeats the purpose if water gets in........

I'm 51, and unlikely to lose a whole lotta weight. I'm fit, just short and chunky.

Good luck; I love my Bare 7mm; it fits perfectly.

redstilettos

The solution is a custom suit, this is what folks that are not "off the rack" for whatever reason dive in. We have had some experience with custom suits in our household. You can get some more information here.

For cold water suits we have had good luck with Atlan. My wife dives the hooded Tahoe in full 7mm and it's been a good suit, now entering it's 5th year.

You may be a little early to consider the investment but a drysuit would also be a great solution. While you may still want a custom cut the process is much more forgiving and the comfort top notch.

Added, If the Bare line will fit you then go for it as teddyg04 suggested. Bare does have a lot of proportioned sizes. The arctic and companion hooded step-in vest is a great suit.

Pete

i second the custom suit idea

Hi all,

I just got certified and took a few 'real' dives in Cozumel, but I have a couple of questions for all of you.

I am 5'6'' and go about 210 (although to be honest no one ever guesses that. I think I must be packed in here pretty tightly, lol). I purchased a 3mm wetsuit from a company online (gasp....the horror, right?) But other than being just a little long it isn't a bad fit really and worked very well in Coz. The 7mm did not fit AT ALL.

Because I live in Wisconsin I need a 7mm in order not to get frost bite in...oh...August :)

Are there wetsuits for women like me (carry most of my weight around my belly and thighs) that are shorter? Every time I look at some they end up being for really tall men.

Help?
it sounds like we have the same problem. i bought an Aqualung hyperstrech 7mm and love it. its the first suit i've found that is actually comfortable.

I would not suggest a stretch suit for Wisconsin diving.

i liked my hyperstretch (i'm your exact dimensions!), but the drysuit is a good idea if you can swing it.

I would not suggest a stretch suit for Wisconsin diving.
just curious, why is that?

Well it looks like because of my size and girth of my legs/hips I will need a stretchy suit. Which is fine....but why wouldn't you suggest one for Wisconsin diving?

Since I am near Milwaukee, Wisconsin....Wisconsin diving is almost a must?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom