wetsuit hangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7millimeter

Contributor
Reaction score
I love my wetsuits .... no matter what their thickness. :wink:

But I was wondering, am I being bad to my neoprene friends by not hanging them on those fancy, specially-made wetsuit hangers? The thought was keeping me awake last night.

Is the perceived need for special wetsuit hangers a ploy by the hanger industry to get us to buy more products?

(No "Mommy Dearest" jokes, please!)

Mine (Bare) actually came with special wetsuit hangers. Don't they all? Kinda like when you buy a suit, they come on hangers.

I think the smaller hangers will "pinch" the neoprene in the two spots where the ends dig into the shoulders. I've heard folks mention that they just double-up regular hangers. Maybe that's an option.

I bought one of those specialy bcd/wetsuit hangars at the LDS, and found that my 7/6 bare velocity was _still_ digging in on the shoulders and leaving little thin spots, so I solved it with a bunch of old plastic shopping bags and some packing tape. Just huge shopping bag loafs taped to the hangar arms. The shoulders are still marginally thinner than the rest of the suit (they're bearing all the weight just the same), but it's working a lot better and in a form that I can deal with versus laying it out on the floor somewhere..

Divin'Hoosier:
Mine (Bare) actually came with special wetsuit hangers.

Yeah, my Bare hooded vest came with a hanger. I thought it was a nice touch.

Hmmm, I dunno. $14.95 for a hanger? I have more than a couple of wetsuits. I could probably afford only a few at a time. I'll have to prioritize. Which wetsuits do I love the most? That 3mm with the loose cuffs will be the last in line......... eyebrow

My wetsuit spends most of it's time drying over the railing of the deck-have never used the expensive hangers

7millimeter:
Yeah, my Bare hooded vest came with a hanger. I thought it was a nice touch.

Yeah, I think my LDS made off with mine when I bought it. It was still a steal, though, so what the heck.

Hmmm, I dunno. $14.95 for a hanger? I have more than a couple of wetsuits. I could probably afford only a few at a time. I'll have to prioritize. Which wetsuits do I love the most? That 3mm with the loose cuffs will be the last in line......... eyebrow

Yeah, my skinsuits are on normal hangars. If I end up getting the bare 7 mil step in with hood, I don't know what I'll do, heh. Too much gear, not enough space.

Get the hangers.
Its a small price to insure that your suit stays in shape. You can order the hanger pack which comes with a BC hanger and an accessory hanger.

Rumpled up in the bottom of the closet works also (after its dry), the only time I have ever managed to damage a wetsuit is when I packed it too tight in a suitcase and used it to pad my reel. I have a small reel indentation on it. Otherwise they are resiliant.

A friend of mine gave me an idea. I went and bought a bunch of those plastic coat hangers- the ones that are roughly 3/8 of an inch thick. They can be found at almost any store and they don't cost much for a stack of them. Then took three or four of them at a time (I made a couple of different sizes of hangers) and taped them together. So far no problems and that was close to a year ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom