Wetsuit in Aruba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been snorkeling in Aruba for around 10 years now and plan on finally getting my certification this year. My plan is to finish up here in NY (CW & classroom) then do the OW in Aruba. Normally I snorkel there in nothing more than a bathing suit. For diving, will I need or should I get a wetsuit? I have been told that the temperature of the water down below is considerably cooler so a 3 mil suit should be the minimum. Also, someone who isn't familiar with Aruba advised using one for protection. I don't yet know what the OW dives will entail but if I need a suit I would like to buy one (someone I know pointed out that while it's OK to rent all other equipment (except the mandatory fins, mask and snorkel) he opts to buy his own suit as the thought of renting one that someone else may have relieved himself in the day before bothered him... hmmm...).
Anyway, if I need one I will buy it. Do you guys recommend one?
Also, I have an angle on the 3/4 mill suit. 3 mill in the arms and legs and 4 in the torso. Is this a good idea? I can get it brand new for half price.

On a side note, is 3 mil suit (or the 3/4 suit) usable in the NY area in the summer? I live in NY and if I can get away with 1 suit that would be awesome (but somehow I think this is asking too much).

Depending on your tollerance for cold, you can get by without a wetsuit in Aruba if you're only doing a couple of dives a day. If you plan on doing multiple dives over multiple days, you probably want a 3mm shorty as a minimum. The 3/4 full suit might not be a bad option. If you tend to get cold, and plan on diving a lot, a full 5mm is even an option.

For ocean diving in NY, you're going to want a 7mm as a minimum.

3/4 shorty for Aruba is fine, some people dive without any suits in Aruba, it's all personal preference.

I dove with a 3/2/1 (mares) full suit in Bonaire in April and that worked for me. I was doing 5 dives a day. Started out in a Trilam but got cold before I got out of the water.

I prefer the full suit to protect me from scratches, stings or cuts on my legs or arms

The water temperature is Aruba usually allows for no wet-suit. I was there diving this past July (2008) and didn't wear a wet-suit; considering the water temperature was 84 degrees. Now at 90 feet we did hit a termocline, but even then a wet-suit wasn't needed.

Ruba Rentals - the best car rental price on the island

The Paddock - will never go there again, the little downtown restaurant/bar treated us list dirt

Dive Aruba - A great way to dive, he only does 6 people maximum. We had 4, 2 for diving and 2 for snorkel and he was great getting us to both at the same time

Depends when and where you go. AUA in November I was fine with long trunks and long sleeve rash guard. AUA in March a full 3 mil was just right. My opinion is do the 3 mil for all your training and first several dives... for my OW in Curacao the "enclosed classes" were behind a breakwater with surge the kneeling in the sand in shorty was a little uncomfortable.

If you are going with JADS they will take care of you.. BTW You will love the sport.

Thanks for the great response guys. Somehow I knew that 1 suit for both places was a far fetched idea. Well, I have 4 weeks to decide how I am going to deal with this. I'm thinking a rash suit will do me fine as I seldom get cold and will most likely only do the 4 open water dives required for my cert this year.

I dove in Aruba just a few weeks ago. I dove with a .5mm skin-type... well, basically it's a leotard for men (but real manly men, mind you!!). Seriously, .5mm skin did me fine, except for a night dive, where I put a 3/2 shorty on under the skin. I never really got cold... just slightly chilled. A 3/2 full would be just fine. That said, I dove with a pair that did all dives (down to 100ft) in swimsuits only.

A 3/2 will do you fine. Any thicker... even with repetitive dives... I'd think would be too thick. But that's just me (average height/weight/tolerances/etc).

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom