Wetsuit lifespan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will vary with original quality, care and the depth it sees. Even if it is in nice enough shape most have lost significant thermal protection from crushing after 200-300 dives.

Piete

It depends on a number of factors.
If you are talking about insulation, it depends on the type of neoprene used. If it is an incompressible neoprene like Rubatex, it may never wear out or lose its insulating qualities.
Other factors:
Make and durability of the suit. Glued seams, blind stitched, flatlock, etc.
Fit of the suit.
What kind of conditions the suit is regularly used in.
How well it is rinsed and appropriately dried after use.
How many hours a day it is worn.

I go through 3mm suits pretty quickly because I teach in a pool with them and they are subjected to chlorine and hours of continuous use. That said, my last 3mm suit made by Camaro, lasted 3 years and about 400 dives. Its all faded, needed a new zipper pull, but is still wearable.
I tend to wear them until the seams fall apart, or I just am plain sick of it.

Depends on the usage. Just reef cruising, probably at least 300 dives. But if you do a lot of wreck penetrations and swim-throughs in tropical waters where the suit is worn more for protection than for thermal isolation probably a lot less.

I have one blue and yellow 3mm shorty, 12 years old, done about 100 dives and that probably has over 400 hours of snorkeling time and is still looking good. I live in a tropical country so it gets a lot of exposure to sunlight and the colours have hardly faded. It's always well rinsed after use and dried in the shade though.

It will vary with original quality, care and the depth it sees. Even if it is in nice enough shape most have lost significant thermal protection from crushing after 200-300 dives.

Piete
Exactly right..and that is if quality neoprene is used. much less if crappy neoprene used . cheap suit=crap neoprene.

My wife dives 3 and 5 mils. She does not get 300 dives but she ditches them when they start to slow wear. I have a skin with over 300 dives and it is getting a bit worn, but then again, I am not wearing it for thermal protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom