Wetsuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnMedic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi group. This appears the best place to post seeing you dive locally.

Wetsuit dilemma...

I am shopping for a wetsuit. I think I have narrowed it down to a 5/4 for maximum flexibility, kinda!?

I am in Ontario and I know the diving around kand get kind of chilly. However, I may only get out 1-2 times a season to spots like Brockville/Tobermory, and 3-4 times in smaller lakes/quaries more or less to keep my skills up. I prefer to do dive while I travel south which can be 4-6 tips a year. The goal is a minimum of 12-14 dive days a year with 50-60% in warmer waters (Southern California/South Carolina and south)

So, I THINK (?) I am looking for protection in the 5mm or 5/4mm (Bare/Pinnacle) with the option of adding a jacket for local dives. Does this make sense? Would a 5mm jacket for local diving sound appropriate? I assume a 5/4 would suffice nicely in the caribbean with perhaps a future add-on of a 3mm?

Thoughts/Input?

A lot of your decision will be based on what time of year you're diving.

Last weekend the St. Lawrence was around 63F, depending on your tolerance to cold you would probably be toasty warm with a 5/4 and hooded vest. Diving in lakes & quarries you'll be dealing with thermoclines which may be a little more thermally challenging.

On the 9th I was at Morrison's Quarry, 41F and chilly with my 7mil + 7mil hooded vest; on the 16th I was in Brockville - 58F same gear and was very comfortable. I've been diving dry since my Fusion came in (last night was still 41F at MQ but was warm in my drysuit).

In DR last October I was in my 2mil shorty (84F) while the DM was wearing a 5mil full suit.

I've been very happy with my Bare wetsuits - you may want to check out either a 5mil or 7mil Elastek, they're very comfortable, well made and have a great range of sizes available to fit most body shape.

A lot of your decision will be based on what time of year you're diving.

Last weekend the St. Lawrence was around 63F, depending on your tolerance to cold you would probably be toasty warm with a 5/4 and hooded vest. Diving in lakes & quarries you'll be dealing with thermoclines which may be a little more thermally challenging.

On the 9th I was at Morrison's Quarry, 41F and chilly with my 7mil + 7mil hooded vest; on the 16th I was in Brockville - 58F same gear and was very comfortable. I've been diving dry since my Fusion came in (last night was still 41F at MQ but was warm in my drysuit).

In DR last October I was in my 2mil shorty (84F) while the DM was wearing a 5mil full suit.

I've been very happy with my Bare wetsuits - you may want to check out either a 5mil or 7mil Elastek, they're very comfortable, well made and have a great range of sizes available to fit most body shape.

Thanks for the reply. I will be likely doing Crockville and a few quarries including Innerkip this summer. Victoria is the coldest I can think of at about 55.

I was hoping the Bare 5/4 is a happy medium with vest for diving around here yet suitable for S.C. through Caribbean. Pricing I was looking at Velocity 5/4 Full with the Velocity 5mm vest. The Bare sizing seems to be best for me and according the the LDS is VERY accurate.

New to buying my own WS and especially layering. :idk: Does the vest go over or under the full wetsuit!? :confused:

It really depends on you. Do you get cold easily? Do you kick a lot? Newer divers tend to "move" more and that generates heat so a thinner wetsuit might be okay. Why don't you try renting a suit first and see how it feels.

try the whites fusion, sport skin... dive like a wet, warm like a drysuit. light weighted, only 9 lbs if you need to travel. when roll up, smaller than a wetsuit. for sure a lot less bulky if you start layering your wetsuit. a little pricey when compare with wet, but for long term, a lot more durable. never try one? there are several whites fusion demo dives coming up soon in mid july: brockville, barrie and humber. sign up with a whites dealer or pm me for more details.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's unlikely you're going to find one wetsuit that will be comfortable for the range of diving you're talking about.

I had to buy two wetsuits for my diving. I have a 3mm fullsuit and a 7mm john and jacket combo with attached hood.

I'll dive the full 7mm setup in Toby and just use the farmer john and hood for spots like Barrie or Innisfill. When I dive in Florida or Hawaii, I'll either dive my 3mm or just go in my board shorts.

For me a 5mm wouldn't be warm enough for Toby and would be WAY too warm for Southern diving.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's unlikely you're going to find one wetsuit that will be comfortable for the range of diving you're talking about.

I had to buy two wetsuits for my diving. I have a 3mm fullsuit and a 7mm john and jacket combo with attached hood.

I'll dive the full 7mm setup in Toby and just use the farmer john and hood for spots like Barrie or Innisfill. When I dive in Florida or Hawaii, I'll either dive my 3mm or just go in my board shorts.

For me a 5mm wouldn't be warm enough for Toby and would be WAY too warm for Southern diving.

Thanks for the feedback and this is what I was feeling was going to be the case. There are some Isotherm Semi-Dry's at a VERY reasonable price as are Tilo's Semi-Dry. Likewise, there are a few respectable 3mm that are well under $100.

there are several whites fusion demo dives coming up soon in mid july: brockville, barrie and humber. sign up with a whites dealer or pm me for more details.

I'd be interested in the details -- for a demo at Humber Bay. Thanks.

New to buying my own WS and especially layering. :idk: Does the vest go over or under the full wetsuit!? :confused:

It depends on which vest you buy, with the heavier vest (like this one BARE Scuba Diving - Canada (which BTW is the one I have but they also make a velocity version) you wear it over the jumpsuit and, if the water is warm enough it could be worn as a hooded shorty.

Bare also offers vests meant to be worn under the jumpsuit (BARE Scuba Diving - Canada

Back
Top Bottom