wetsuit pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys how do i apply the wetsuit pockets? i know you use aquaseal but do i apply? if im not mistaken wear the wetsuit, draw outline with chalk or marker. once ouline is drawn do i remove the suit or do i apply the thigh pockets while im wearing the suit? i have heard comments that its better to apply pockets while wearing the suit becasue the neoprene is stretched. thanks

I have no experience, but doing it while you're wearing the suit makes sense to me for the same reason you say.

Hi,

I don't think you can apply the pockets while wearing the suit cus the ahesive takes 24 hrs to dry LOL!

The only alternative is placing the legs through an ironing board and strech it to exactly the outline of the pocket when you are wearing it. I don't really see any point to do this though as most of the time the suit is left to hang or is rolled up. This will release the tension of the suit at the pockets and in the long run will create stress points on the suit and it will break down sooner.

Halcyon has provided a how to on pocket attachment:

How do I attach my Halcyon pocket to my wet or dry suit?
Necessary Tools: chalk, small brush, small roller
Recommended Adhesive: McNett Seal Cement
1. Don suit and hold pocket in desired location. (Recommended placement is on outer-thigh to keep the pockets out of the flow)
2. Use chalk to outline the desired location for pocket.
3. Remove suit and place on a hard flat surface.
4. Apply first coat of Seal Cement around outer one-inch strip on both the suit and the pocket.
5. Allow the adhesive to get tacky for about ten minutes and then apply a second coat.
6. Allow the adhesive to dry until tacky, for about ten minutes, and then apply a third coat.
7. Again allow the adhesive to dry until tacky, about ten minutes.
8. Place the pocket on the suit in the exact location desired. (Make sure it’s correct since it will not move easily at this point)
9. Use the roller to roll the pocket on the suit.
10. Allow drying for at least 24 hours before diving.

SangP

Hi Spoon,

I used Aquaseal on mine with the optional Cotol-240 accelerator which cuts drying time to about 2 hours. I left it overnight anyway to make sure. This way you could do it while wearing it i guess but wouldn't you move for two hours?

What i did was wear it, chalk the outline, then put the suit on a table and stuffed the leg with hardback books to make it stretch to exactly where the chalk outline matched the pocket. After application (you can follow SangP's direction there) i placed a number of books on top to weigh it down and then wrapped some tension rubber bands around tightly to clamp it.

Where would one find these "wetsuit pockets"?

(google was pretty useless, unless I wanted to trap a longboard to my thigh.)

theatis:
What i did was wear it, chalk the outline, then put the suit on a table and stuffed the leg with hardback books to make it stretch to exactly where the chalk outline matched the pocket. After application (you can follow SangP's direction there) i placed a number of books on top to weigh it down and then wrapped some tension rubber bands around tightly to clamp it.

You wore it for 2 hours :11:! HOly cOW!!!

Actually when I spoke to the guys at living seas here in Singapore they did not recommend the pockets cus frequent usage will tear the wetsuit. Instead they recommend the X-Shorts with Pockets. For the price I got them for, they sure beat having to mess around with glue and all that stuff.

When I'm not wearing those shorts I use this pouch I found on Ebay.

SangP

Btw, theatis thanks but those instructions came from Halcyon LOL!

SangP:
Actually when I spoke to the guys at living seas here in Singapore they did not recommend the pockets cus frequent usage will tear the wetsuit. Instead they recommend the X-Shorts with Pockets. For the price I got them for, they sure beat having to mess around with glue and all that stuff.

SangP
The management at Zero Gravity should have a talk with their marketing department. I noticed that the last item on the page is only available in size medium and small. I bet they'd sell more if they were the same size, but sold as large and XL.

...and besides where can I buy size extra small? :( I guess I'll stay with my wetsuit. :devil_2:

Back
Top Bottom