Wetsuit question for FL divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharp Tooth

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the boards so this is my first post here. I've been wanting to get into diving for awhile now and finally decided to act on it so I've been reading constantly and checking out different equipment and all that good stuff.

I've been trying to decide on a wetsuit to buy but I'm just not sure about how thick it should be. I live in West Palm Beach and I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything. I'm not sure how cold the water gets at deeper depths. Would 5mm be the safest way to go for all around or would I be ok buying a 3mm and just wearing a layer under it if it gets cold.

I'm guessing the 3mm seems ok but just wanted to get an opinion. Thanks.

This is what I have. I dive with a 3mm farmer john and a 3mm long sleeve shorty together in the winter months and in the springs here in Florida. This way when its warmer I can just wear the 3mm shorty. I also have a skin that I like to wear under the shorty, just to protect my skin from stuff in the water (it gives no additional warmth). I can also dive just in the skin (oppose to just wearing a bathing suit) when the water is really warm lik eit was on my Venice Beach dive. I think that if you get just a 5mm wetsuit that you would die from the heat when on a boat in the summer time (ok, not die, but you get my point). Also I have friends that have 1/2 mil suits for the summer time.

Since you live in West Palm you should go over too Diver's Direct. That's where I got my stuff and they have good prices.

Hi, and welcome to the board, and to diving.

I'm with Wendy, I was certified this past January, and dove on the east coast/keys just about every weekend in my 3mil John/Jacket, adding a hooded vest when it was at the coldest. On your coast, the water doesn't get as cold as the gulf.

Depends on how easily you get cold. I dive with a swim suit in the summer and am comfortable in a 1/8 inch shorty in the winter in your area (I prefer a 1/4" farmer john/jacket w/hood in the Gulf in the winter), but I have a dear friend who dives with a full suit in the summer and a dry suit in the winter.

I think the 2 piece - 3 ml farmer john gives you the best bang for the buck. Using both parts keeps me ok down to the mid 60's. Using just the top (or bottom) will be tolerable into high 80's.

I think you might be a little too warm in a 5mm in WPB area most of the year. I have a 3mm full wetsuit, 5mm booties (I tend to get cold easily), and I am comfortable most the time.

Good luck!

A 3mm jumpsuit has served well year round for me. I have been looking at .5mm suits recently for summer use, but it's more for surface comfort in the summer heat than I've ever been uncomfortable at depth. Unlike some of the others, I prefer the full protection of a jumpsuit from things that sting.

In January and February when water temps dip into the mid-lower 70's it's been fine as well. I have protection to cover my head to help.

Marc

Sharp Tooth once bubbled... I'm guessing the 3mm seems ok but just wanted to get an opinion. Thanks.
By now you see that its different for everybody. Fortunately, it doesn't matter much compared to colder water where it can be very important.

If you are resistant to cold like me, all you may ever want is a skin. OTOH, Marvel dives in 3mm during summer and sometimes gets cold - she's actually alergic to cold. By the way, each cost the same - $50.00.

If you don't have any idea, keep your options open. You don't need to pay a lot here where the wetsuit is often merely an afterthought.

BUT, wow - are you in for some fun diving here! Have a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom