Wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just did our first open water dive today in a local lake. Water temp was 51 degrees. Like I said, we wore 6.5 mm farmer johns. I was actually ok, not hot or cold. But, it was certs, so there was a lot of standing around or just hanging out, not a lot of movement. The main thing was my hands, because we had garbage gloves with holes in a few of the fingers.

Tomorrow we go out into Puget Sound, and looking at the temp on the internet, the water is 53.5 degrees.

Anybody have experience diving in these temps? If so, what do you use?
50F is about as low as I dive "semidry" EVER. Infact, with a max surface temp around where I dive of about 70f and below 60f most of the year I dont even own anything but drysuit atm as its all I need. For my hot-water vacations I rent, but it is kinda tempting to get a shorty just to have my own for those trips..

My wife and I dive wet in 7mm AquaLand AquaFlex wetsuits in 50+F water. She adds a 5mm hooded vest and a lycra skin. I just add a 5mm titanium hood and a 17oz polyolefin dive skin. We both wear 5mm boots and gloves. We're good for 2-3 dives a day in that setup, but we do feel the cold, not uncomfortably though.

A trick we learned last February is to pour hot water into your wetsuit just before you gear up. Definitely makes a difference as you resurface from your giant step.

I use a Henderson 7mm farmer john in thermoprene. It's one of the suits you're looking at.

I like it, it's easy to put on/off, and is comfortable. It is a very buoyant suit, so check your weight carefully before you dive it for real. I couldn't get down at all the 1st time I used it.

I won't go if the water is less than 50 deg., though. Its OK to about 50 for me, then it's too cold. YMMV.

Tomorrow we go out into Puget Sound, and looking at the temp on the internet, the water is 53.5 degrees.

Anybody have experience diving in these temps? If so, what do you use?

I could dive that in my 7mm wetsuit, with a hooded vest and gloves....but I wouldn't be warm, happy, or last a long time. If you go fairly deep, your suit will compress down to nearly nothing....and then you get very cold! A drysuit can be an expensive purchase, but in WA, it is one that will be well worth the investment. Watch out on the classifieds section, ebay, and even craigslist....there are deals to be had (I know, I got one).

I'd agree with Pasley....go to one of your local dive sites and check out what people are wearing. I'll put money on a drysuit. My hubby and I dove there in August and we were the only two people wearing wetsuits....and there's no way I'd do that anytime other than the middle of summer. It WILL be cold, and the surface interval will not help warm you up.

Seriously consider the drysuit before you pull the trigger on a wetsuit. Best of luck with your decision....I'm confident in saying that it will increase your enjoyment, though.

A trick we learned last February is to pour hot water into your wetsuit just before you gear up. Definitely makes a difference as you resurface from your giant step.

If logistics permit doing it after your gear is on it works even better, Weight belts and cummerbunds or waist traps will form dams that slow the drop of the water and let you retain more water volume and BTUs.

Pete

Quick wetsuit question for you guys (and gals)...

My wife and I are finishing up our certs and are looking at wetsuits. We will be mainly diving in Washington State, so we are thinking at least a 7 mil suit. For certs, we have been using "base model" 6.5 mil Farmer John suits.

My question is: Will a higher quality 7 mil, non Farmer John suit provide as much warmth as a lower quality 6.5 mil Farmer John?

We have been looking at Henderson Thermoprene and Elasta Stretch suits. Or a Neo Sport 7 mil John.

Thanks for the help!

-Phil

The number one most important thing is "fit". There should be zero space between the suit ad your skin but at the same time it should not be to tight. The ultra stretch rubber helps to get the fit right BUT The softer rubber compresses more at depth and looses insulation value faster. The ultra stretch also does not last as long as the stiffer kind. It is a trade off but "fit" matters most. do NOT worry about the brand just llok at if it fits you. Brands are cut different and body shapes are different. Find what fits. 7mm suits are the standard.

Next. Here in So. Cal Everyone uses a full, rear zip suit and most use a hooded vest under the suit. If it gets colder then this setup can handle I use my drysuit. But I'm OK for one shore dive (Typically an hour under water) in the low 50's On a boat where I might do three dives, chill is cumulative so I'll use the drysuit unless it is really warm like 60F or above.

Thanks for the great responses! It's been a great help.

We went for our last open water dive yesterday and got certified :)D), and saw that most people there, including our instructors, all were wearing drysuits. Since we plan on diving mostly up here for now, I think we are going to bite the bullet and buy drysuits, but we are going to rent first to see what kind we want.

Thanks again!

-Phil

After diving in some 47° water a few weeks ago (7mm wetuit, hood & gloves) I decided to bite the bullet and go dry. For my checkout dives I was at the same quarry and the water wasn't any warmer - but I was!

Last weekend in the St. Lawrence (48°) I was cozy & warm, my buddy (in a 7mm farmer john) was getting a little chilly by the end of the second dive. His drysuit should be arriving this week!

Tomorrow we go out into Puget Sound, and looking at the temp on the internet, the water is 53.5 degrees. Anybody have experience diving in these temps? If so, what do you use?

I dove dry last weekend in 55 deg F water (around 50 air temps). While my core was warm, my toes were frozen after my first 30 min dive.

You may want to consider re-useable pocket warmers for inside your wet boots and gloves. I used pocket warmers in my socks inside my dry suit footies on my second dive and was MUCH more comfortable getting out of the water.

Incidentally, I had no idea my feet were cold on that first dive. However, upon exiting the water, my toes felt swollen and tingly. That was enough to convince me that I needed to create heat in that area to prevent a serious situation.

When I did my cert class they had us in the 7mm farmer johns as well. I was actually warm during the dives and this was end of september. I have on order a Bare Arctic 7mm suit with the 7mm Arctic overskin thing with built in hood. This should keep me nice and toasty for now as I don't think I will be doing any technical diving in the near future. At that time I can look for a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom