Wetsuit Required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Booked for May 14-21 trip aboard T&C Explorer. Is a 3 mil wetsuit going to be sufficient?
I was on the T&C Explorer several years ago around that time of year. I generally did the morning dives in my 3 mil, but was happy to have a 2.5 mil vest to add for the afternoon dives and night dives. Water temps were right around 80 degrees as I recall. For reference, I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to water temp - many other divers on the boat were fine with 3 mils the whole time.

James

I dove it the week after (May 21-28) in a t-shirt/board shorts but I'm always that guy on the boat that does even when others are wearing 3mm's. My buddy wore his 3MM all week - he usually gets cold but I don't recall him mentioning it on that trip.

I remember being cold once - at night off a deep wall, the upwelling was a lot colder as I approached the edge.

My GF takes a drysuit on her ExVen trips in August. Asking here if a 3mm is going to be ok is like asking if you'll like the taste of something you've never tried.
No possible way to accurately tell you. I thought I'd be ok in a 3 mil in Bonaire for a weeks diving. At the end of the week I wish I'd have taken my 5. Doing 3, 4, 5 dives a day is going to take a toll on your core temp.
Think about what you'd normally use in those water temps and take a suit one thickness heavier or at least a core warmer.
My GF got looks the first time she took her dry suit and pulled it out. At the end of the week some of those divers were still looking, with envy and wishing they had something more than what they brought.
Going on what she describes I'd take my 5 mil merino. Can always flush the suit if a little warm. Can't warm up as easy if you're cold.

If you haven't see it before, the site below will give you current surface water temps almost anywhere in the world - just need to find a buoy close to where you'll be and click on it (most provide water temp, but not all). I like to check a couple days before I leave for a trip.

National Data Buoy Center

Hi MostlyIrish!
I've been working on the Turks & Caicos Explorer and the water temperature is still around 80F. If you tend to get a chill, bring your 5mm, but I think most people are doing great in the 3mm. We do have some various sized vests/hoods onboard for rental if you decide as the week goes on you need a bit more protection.
I'm going diving tomorrow in my 3.5mm Truli Wetsuit shorty, so I'll report back and let you know how I did :)

Hi MostlyIrish!
I've been working on the Turks & Caicos Explorer and the water temperature is still around 80F. If you tend to get a chill, bring your 5mm, but I think most people are doing great in the 3mm. We do have some various sized vests/hoods onboard for rental if you decide as the week goes on you need a bit more protection.
I'm going diving tomorrow in my 3.5mm Truli Wetsuit shorty, so I'll report back and let you know how I did :)
Thanks much. I think I'll be good with my 3 mil. I appreciate the response.

If you haven't see it before, the site below will give you current surface water temps almost anywhere in the world - just need to find a buoy close to where you'll be and click on it (most provide water temp, but not all). I like to check a couple days before I leave for a trip.

National Data Buoy Center
Thanks for the resource.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom