Wetsuit requirements for Ont diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats TorontoDive! I just picked my stuff up from Dive Source on the weekend! Yeah, wearing the suit in the shop...if you are that way inclined its a great way to lose a couple lbs! ; )

We're starting our Wednesday dives next week at Humber Bay. You're more than welcome to join us and try out the suit. PM me if you are interested.

I just had the opportunity to try the 7mm farmer john in Lake Simcoe this weekend in 50-55 degree F. water and I have to say I was surprised how "warm" it can be! Once the water inside the suit warmed up I seemed to be okay for the most part....I might be diving more than I thought I would!!

TorontoDive:
I just had the opportunity to try the 7mm farmer john in Lake Simcoe this weekend in 50-55 degree F. water and I have to say I was surprised how "warm" it can be! Once the water inside the suit warmed up I seemed to be okay for the most part....I might be diving more than I thought I would!!

Nice!

I'll be breaking in my new Bare 7mm Artic Full w/7mm hooded jacket this Wednesday At Humber Bay. I'll let you know how that goes. :alien:

You can also ease the 'shock' by pouring warm water in your suit/boot/gloves. If your suit, etc are already full of water then you don't have the large rush of water entering.
Just slightly above body temp though, not hot as you can stand, as that will ramp up surface circulation and cause you to chill faster when you get in.
Wanna, I'm sure you'll like your Bare. Off all the wetsuits I've worn, it's my favourite (and current suit I use when not diving dry). I'd rate the 7mm Bare Supra by itself as being as warm as any john/jacket combo I've worn and with the hooded vest over it, far ahead.

Groundhog246:
You can also ease the 'shock' by pouring warm water in your suit/boot/gloves. If your suit, etc are already full of water then you don't have the large rush of water entering.
Just slightly above body temp though, not hot as you can stand, as that will ramp up surface circulation and cause you to chill faster when you get in.
Wanna, I'm sure you'll like your Bare. Off all the wetsuits I've worn, it's my favourite (and current suit I use when not diving dry). I'd rate the 7mm Bare Supra by itself as being as warm as any john/jacket combo I've worn and with the hooded vest over it, far ahead.

Groundhog246, do you wear the Farmer John "overalls" with a jacket AND a hooded vest? I don't have a hooded vest (yet) but may consider it. Do you find this combination a little cumbersome?

Sorry if I confused. I have worn 3 different Farmer John and jacket combos (some rentals, one I bought). I then bought a BARE Arctic Supra which is a one piece suit (full length arms and legs). It is 7mm everywhere. Because it has fewer places for water to enter and fits more snugly than a john/jacket combo (no gaps where jacket layers over the johns), I find it as warm as any of the 'regular' john/jacket wetsuits I've used. I also have a hooded vest which can be worn over the Supra and provides another 7mm over your body (core) and with it on, it totally blows away a 'regular' wetsuit. My wife dives a similar suit from Whites (ADS model) and also finds it far better then the rental 'regular' type she had for her OW. I have a couple of buddies with Henderson Hyperstretch one piece suits who really like them (they all claim they'd buy another the same when it wears out). We also have 3/2mm one piece full suits for warmer conditions and I'd swear they're almost as warm as my two piece was.
I don't think there's any way you could wear the hooded vest over a regular john/jacket wetsuit.

All that said, if you're warm enough with the suit you bought, then look no further. Trying to find/buy the 'best' gear can cost you a lot of money, especially if you start buying early on. If you realy want to be warm, dive what you have and save for a drysuit. It makes those 36F dives quite comfortable, no to mention the SI on a cooler day (just stay in the drysuit).

You will get all sorts of different answers on this one but I for one don't feel wetsuits have any place in Ontario diving except above the thermoclines the middle few months of the year.

Anyone hoping to dive to any depth or beyond July/Aug/Sept should really look into a drysuit.

Just one opinion.

d33ps1x:
You will get all sorts of different answers on this one but I for one don't feel wetsuits have any place in Ontario diving except above the thermoclines the middle few months of the year.

Anyone hoping to dive to any depth or beyond July/Aug/Sept should really look into a drysuit.

Just one opinion.

I'll go one further & suggest that drysuits have NO place diving in Ontario. :ice:

Just another (yet similar) opinion. :D

I think all that salt must be rotting your brain. :eyebrow:

Groundhog246:
I think all that salt must be rotting your brain. :eyebrow:

:lol2: You're such a sweet-talker, Groundhog. :kiss:

I dove wet in Ontario up to about Rescue Diver. My max downtime then was a mere 25 minutes in full 5mm exposure protection. How much fun is that?

As soon as I switched to diving dry, I actually ENJOYED diving. Even if it was places like Gullivers or Innercrap. Because I could actually stay down a reasonable length of time.

Interestingly enough, I used to get the same kind of response from some of our DMs. "Oh, it's ok diving wet... blah, blah, blah..." No sooner did they become Instructors (and did a helluva lot of sitting around working with students) than they all BOUGHT drysuits.

Not so crazy, eh?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom