Wetsuit selection diving FLA year 'round

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Wonder what selection of wetsuits would one want to own for a 'well rounded' year-round diving?

3mm 1-pc jumpsuit ?

How about a 6.5mm 2-pc full wetsuit?

Drysuits at all?

???

This works for me (but I still want a dryuit):

1) 7/5 Henderson Goldcore with 5/3 hyperstrech hooded vest

2) 3 mil hyperstretch (with or without hooded vest)

3) .5 mil skin

I think the water temp hit 53F this past year, and we also did a few dives with icicles hanging off the boat. It's not so much the water temp as it is the wetsuit windchill that makes me want a drysuit before next winter.

I have a 3/2 that I sometimes combine with a beanie. This works for most of the year.

I have a DR905 drysuit that I use in springs and during the Nov-Jan period.

The drysuit is more for the surface interval wind chill than the actual water exposure.

Peter

I was down in the Keys in January and the water temps were 72 degs and I was good in a 3mm suit - however, when I got to the surface and did my surface interval I got so hypothermic I was shaking like a leaf. The air temp was around 74 degs with a 15 mph wind. I felt COLD!

I dive dry up here in NY, but wondered if that would be overkill summers, even if worn with just a ploy pro underwear 'skin' underneath. I dive a Trilam.

I recommend to my students basically what I wear...

3mm two piece wetsuit with farmer johns. For really cold days I recommend the addition of a hooded vest

Coldest water below central Florida hover around 70d, Springs stay at 70-74d. The Gulf coast and north florida ocean can get into the 50's mid winter.

Joe

I dove trilam in 80 degree water in the Bahamas. 90+ degree temps.

No problems in the water with just a swimsuit underneath. I got hot quick on the boat!

It was sorta nice to be dry and not need a shower.

I switched over to my trusty 3/2 after a few novelty dives. I actually like being wet in warm water.

Peter

1. O'Neill 2 pc 3mm

2. O-Neill rashguard

3. Body Glove Hood

I wear the full lot when I go spring diving.

Warm water diving I reserve for just the rashguard and the farmer john (bottom half) of the 2 pc. It definately helps to have that 3 mm there for padding from the harness. I've lived in FL forever, and the heat doesn't bother me too much. A drysuit would be nice for those longer spring dives.

1) A 3mil one piece for the summer.

2) A 3mil hooded vest added to the 3 mil one piece when it starts getting a little cooler.

3) And for them really cold, 68 degree days, a 5 mil semi-dry with the hooded vest.

With these three I can dive comfortably all year round. I have seen people here using tri-lam sport dry suits though, not so much because of the cold, 68 degree, water but for the surface interval. The air temp combined with the winds can get damn cold at times.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom