Wetsuit Thickness (2mm vs 5mm)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was warned about those upwellings or confluence of currents or whatever it was that made some dives in Komodo surprisingly chilly, and I was glad I took my 5mm. I'm sure it's not typical of the SE Asia region as a whole. But if I could only have one suit to dive everywhere in the temperate-to-tropical world, it would be a 5mm.

Good point. Such upwelling are more common in Bali, not so much in Komodo. When. asked about wetsuit thickness, I usually suggest to bring a full 3mm and 5mm wetsuit, if weight is not an issue.

I use my shorty for those CT shore dives I do each July--don't even bring the 7 mil anymore. Often I am hot gearing up even in the shorty. 85-90F air can be nasty.
One thing to remember is that you can flood the suit on the surface as well - a little cool water down the neck does wonders!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom