wetsuits and wool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The sodden sheep's wool has lanolin on it, which provides the water-proofing. My Army blanket sure weighs more when it is wet than when it is dry."

Well, it weighs more in the air when it's wet than it does dry because you're weighing the water. Jonnythan is right that the water is neutrally buoyant. But the weight of a wet woolen blanket out of the water doesn't tell you anything about its buoyancy, which depends - as with everything else - on the weight of the thing itself (without the water) and the weight of the water it displaces.

jonnythan:
The fibers are semi-hollow, but not watertight. When the wool is saturated, there are no trapped air spaces. If there were we wouldn't need closed-cell neoprene :wink: Hence, there is no "equalization" or anything like that.

There's no volume loss. The wool soaks up the surrounding water, and you have a totally waterlogged space of a wool and water mixture (with no air) between yourself and the actual insualation (the air spaces in the neoprene). The wool fibers do absolutely nothing to insulate when they're soaking wet. It would provide the same amount of underwater insulation as a cotton layer... zero. Out of the water, the wool will dry significantly faster, and should add slightly to surface insulation, but underwater it's highly counterproductive.

Been having a think about this, and I think wool probably can make a suit warmer.
The thermal conductivity of wool is considerably lower than that of neoprene (approximately a factor of 10), so if we were talking of a dry suit then wool would clearly help.

In the case of a wet suit, it depends. If the suit is a semi dry type siut, then very little water will actually get in, so most of the air that was trapped in/around the wool will surely still be there. So the above thermal conductivity argument is still partly true.

With a thin leaky wetsuit, I guess the air will all escape. But why would you put wool inside a warm water suit anyway?

"With a thin leaky wetsuit, I guess the air will all escape. But why would you put wool inside a warm water suit anyway?"

I can only think of a few real advantages, and don't know how much weight I would attach to them, not having tried wool inside neoprene except in my boots - it goes on very easily compared to neoprene when it's dry, it feels more comfortable against the skin than neoprene (I think), and some people react badly to neoprene on the skin (allergies), and if there's enough wool in there to matter, I think a layer of wool probably would slow the movement of water inside the suit better than smooth neoprene.

MacHeath:
Been having a think about this, and I think wool probably can make a suit warmer.
The thermal conductivity of wool is considerably lower than that of neoprene (approximately a factor of 10), so if we were talking of a dry suit then wool would clearly help.
What's the thermal conductivity of neoprene compared to, say....... water? :wink:

jviehe:
I recently had a discussion with someone in regards to the use of wool as a liner in wetsuits to keep you warmer. Im interested in the physics behind this. Im referring to specifically the Pinnacle line of wetsuits which use Merino wool. Pinnacle explains the benefits of the wool here:

http://www.digitaligual.com/pinnacleaquatics7/html5/merino.htm

Now, Ive always thought it was common knowledge that the water in your wetsuit is part of what keeps you warm, as well as the neoprene, though Ive never delved into the physics. Im told by others however that this is wrong, and wetsuit companies lie about it.

Ok, so now add wool, which absorbs water, effectively keeping more water in your wetsuit. Depending on the truth, this extra water will either make you warmer or colder. In addition, Pinnacle states that the wool is exothermic, that it generates heat when wet.

So, could someone try and explain what the truth about water and wool is, and explain the physics behind it?

I have been diving for about 23 years, let me give you my view on this subject, the purpose of a wet suit as we all know is to trap a thin layer of water between your skin and the suit it self. your body heat, heats the water and you keep warm for the duration of your dive.

What I find is that unless you have a custom made wet suit you rarely get an ideal fit.

so in as far as using a wool sweater, the puropse of this would be to keep the water trapped in your wet suit from moving around and holding the heated water in place and not being flused out as you swim along, if your wetsuit is slightly to big for you, as you swim along the water inside your wetsuit is flushed out leaving you with cold water inside your suit.

You can use anything to achieve the same thing as the wool sweater, i use any shirt or tee shirt i can find, as long as the wet suit isn't to big they work.

try using different types of shirts and see if one works any better than the other.

christopher520

jonnythan:
What's the thermal conductivity of neoprene compared to, say....... water? :wink:

Similar actually:

Neoprene 0.15-0.45 W/m.K
Water (273k) 0.56 W/m.K
Wool 0.03-0.04 W/m.K
Air 0.025 W/m.K

Obviously with water/air there is convection to consider too.

So to sum up:

Dry wool, much better than Neoprene
Wet wool, depends how wet, maybe better than neoprene.

MacHeath:
Similar actually:

Neoprene 0.15-0.45 W/m.K
Water (273k) 0.56 W/m.K
Wool 0.03-0.04 W/m.K
Air 0.025 W/m.K

Obviously with water/air there is convection to consider too.

So to sum up:

Dry wool, much better than Neoprene
Wet wool, depends how wet, maybe better than neoprene.
Mm hmm... and how about *foam* neoprene?

Plain neoprene is just plain rubber. The black rubber gloves at Home Depot are neoprene.

Air is the good insulator. The air trapped *in* the neoprene.

jonnythan:
Mm hmm... and how about *foam* neoprene?

Plain neoprene is just plain rubber. The black rubber gloves at Home Depot are neoprene.

Air is the good insulator. The air trapped *in* the neoprene.

Fair point. Foam neoprene seems to bee about 0.06 W/m.K
Still not as good as wool, so the conclusion still stands: Wool should help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom