whadayathink?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey fellas!
just got my 28' slip!
now.....there's an opportunity to buy a...

2001 maxum 2700 scr.
has been in freshwater in nevada...

clean in the inside...

but around the motor...looks like some paint has been scratched off...
it's a 7.4L, mercury....alpha "3"(?), dual-prop....the dealer says there is no hour-meter...hmmm....

anyhow....they are asking $42-44. a bank repo.

please let me know what you think!
thanks! all input appreciated!

-dan

No hour tracking......hmmmm is right. I would really want to see how many hours is on that engine and outdrive. My advice is if your questioning it in the back of your mind, something doesn't feel right don't do it. There are other boats.

Doug

good point, planodiver.....
thanks....

it just seem really clean otherwise

-dan

Dan, not to rain on your parade, but have you owned a boat before? Asking for a blind consensus on a sight-unseen pretty major expenditure like this might work out but it also might be the recipe for a complete financial disaster. Buying a bost is very easy; buying the right boat is a real test of will and patience.
I ran a boat repair operation out in Hawaii so I got to see the guts of all sorts of boats. If you're serious, you need to have a really good marine surveyor rip your prospective boat apart. It might not be pretty, but at least you'll know what you're getting into.

Sounds like a true must-do!
I WILL look into getting a survey done.....

And yes, as you can see...i am very new to boating....and this would be my first boat! It's exciting...but scary in many ways.

The size seems right....27'.....good for weekend scuba diving at catalina island....it's about 26 miles away from my place...

thanks for the info...

-dan

I looked at a photo of this boat. It looks like an OK freshwater boat - I'm pretty prejudiced against I/O's in salt water, but leaving one inwater in a salt water slip is a prelude to disaster for maintenance.
The layout of this type of boat is not for diving - where are you going to store all the dive gear. Plus, a season of any type of moderate diving is going to deprettify your sizable investment in short order.
Again, you need to do a lot more homework before you whip out the checkbook. On a vessel like this for Catalina, I would definitely pass. For Lake Tahoe and weekending, it's perfect.

The first step is to determine your primary use of the boat. Unfortunately no one boat will cover all boating interests. A wide open boat is best for diving but is the worst for an overnight cruise experience for example. If your primary interest is cruising with some diving then an I/O cruiser design would be the best in my opinion. If your primary interest is fishing for example then a center console would likely be best. Etc.

My boat is a small cruiser (19' w/cuddy cabin) I/O, moored in salt water, stand up canvas enclosure, etc. I mostly dive with it but cruising comforts were important to me. So I worked a system to utilize this design of boat for diving. I installed a heavy duty x-mas tree ladder on my swimplatform that allows me to climb out wearing doubles for example.

Decide what your design priorities are and work from that.

--Matt

great advice, guys...

that makes a lot of sense...

can you tell the the true difference between a cuddy vs. a cruiser??

thanks,

-dan

deputydan1:
great advice, guys...

that makes a lot of sense...

can you tell the the true difference between a cuddy vs. a cruiser??

thanks,

-dan

Size.....cuddy is basically a small cabin at the bow where you can lay down. A cruiser is a larger boat where you would often have a head, table, galley, etc. forward in the cabin area.

Mine is a cuddy....I can sleep in it and there is room for a porta potti and some storage but that's it. Ahhh...thinking of the next boat with table, fresh water sink, enclosed stand up head with a real marine toilet (rather than a porta potti), etc.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom