whale diving/snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zendee

Registered
Reaction score
Anywhere around the islands a good place to dive/snorkel with whales?
Is March the best month?
Suggested boats or dive shops?

Thanks,
Dee

Supposedly the big island manta ray dives sometime stumble upon whales. We did the dive in January, and saw a couple whales from the boat on the way out. No manta rays/whales underwater, though.

Smallish whale shark has been seen for several days now in the Kona area. The Hummpies are showing up in force now too. Off of Maui between Maui and Kahoolawe I would see a bunch every day flying over. On the Big Isle the Kohala coast is a good location too.

I've seen a humpback underwater at the Rabbi's Reef dive site (Big Island). Friends of mine
have also seen them (and have _awesome_ video footage) of a mother and calf off of the
Black Castle dive site (also Big Island).

Whale season is the end of November thru May, so if you are here in March your chances are pretty good. BUT there is no 100% on getting to see the whales underwater. According to laws we have to stay a minimum 100 yards (it is 100 yards, right?) away. If anchored and they come your way while in the water...that's ok.

As sound travels very far underwater you have good chances of hearing them though...awesome experience! Also during the season, if your lucky, you will get to see them breach or filp a tail or fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom