Whale Meat In Japanese Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
rickg:
Here is the URL to an article about whale meat in Japanese schools. This is where some of meat collected during the "research" conducted by the Japanese whaling fleet.

http://animal.discovery.com/news/afp/20050502/whalemeat.html?msn=apl_news

Rickg

This isnt really news is it!

I lived in japan for three years and whale meat is a very common sight in japanese fish markets, didnt notice it in the big supermarkets but in the little shops it was always there. Hopefully the world will wake up and see that the japanese whaling fleets are just laughing at the rest of the community

Albion:
This isnt really news is it!

I lived in japan for three years and whale meat is a very common sight in japanese fish markets, didnt notice it in the big supermarkets but in the little shops it was always there. Hopefully the world will wake up and see that the japanese whaling fleets are just laughing at the rest of the community

And what's wrong with eating whale meat?

At least they're eating the meat, and not harvesting it for the ambergris. Or lopping off the dorsal fin and serving it in soup. If people want to eat a non-threatened species, go nuts.

Boogie711:
And what's wrong with eating whale meat?
I wouldn't characterize it as being "wrong" - but personally I'd rather see whales come off the menu.
And the way to do that is to get 'em to drop duties on American Beef.
Rick

LOL - tell you what Rick - we'll work with you at getting the Japanese to reduce the duties on American Beef as soon as you American's even allow Canadian beef into your country.

Boogie711:
LOL - tell you what Rick - we'll work with you at getting the Japanese to reduce the duties on American Beef as soon as you American's even allow Canadian beef into your country.

Acchhh! MAD COW MAD COW MAD COW
Run away... run away....
:)
Rick

I once went to a restaurant in Tokyo's Ginza where the English was a little less solid than in most you find in that area. The waitress was charming and cute, so I figured, what the hell, I'll ingratiate myself and safe some work. "Would you order for me? Just bring me the things that you like."

Besides my colleague inviting our waitress to come and live with him, two things happened. The second thing was, the meal ended at about the appetizer level of my normal volume (and I'm a light eater by American standards.)

The first thing that happened was one of the dishes was the best sashimi I have ever tasted in my life, and I have eaten a boat load of the stuff in every kind of restaurant from the crudest to the most refined. I asked my helper what the dish was that I had enjoyed so much.

She replied, with a sweet smile and a heavy accent, "Oi-o."

Not a fish I had ever heard of. I pressed for more info.

"Beeg fish. REEAALLY beeg fish."

Hmm.? Oh my god, Oi-o is whale! I would never have ordered it myself, but heaven help me, it was delicious.

For the record, it didn't look like the photo, which I hope was frozen meat. It looked like the very lean tuna known as maguro, only a bit darker red.

This is a difficult issue IMHO. While whaling for species that are threatened or endangered is a travesty, whaling for other species is not much different than any of the many other mammalian species we eat in my (USA) and other countries, is it?

Yes, whales appear to have higher intelligence and that does bother me. Yet we all make our choices as to what animals are slaughtered to provide us with food. Of course I would never eat spotted owl or condor, and most likely not whale either. However, unless folks out there are strictly vegetarians, we all eat the flesh of other species.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom