Whale shark, in a net?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Japan-Diver, who's the operator of the whale shark cage? I just assumed it was the Okinawa aquarium after your post, but a close read indicates otherwise? Is it still the research staff, or has some for-profit group taken over?

oh by the way I moved this thread over the Marine Life forum.

nshon:
Strange set of photos seen on a Hong Kong site. It seems some Japanese dive operator has captured a Whale shark and put in a net enclosure. Divers handling the mammal as well...... I know the site is in chinese but you should be able to figure out how to scroll through the pictures. Very strange, and it seems very wrong to me!

Site here.

If only they had teeth. This is totally wrong.

Jai Bar:
I think that several aquariums have whale sharks (WS) kept in captivity. I have seen in the past whale sharks in the Osaka Aquarium, Japan and I know that in Okinawa they have WS too.

http://homepage.mac.com/mollet/Rt/Rt_captive.html

Thank you for the link. From the website, it appears that only the Osaka and Okinawa aquariums are having much success with captive rearing. They also have fairly small animals.

Not at my office now so don't have the name of the dive shop that runs the tours its Zampa Dive or something like that. The net is actually kept up by the local fishing union (Yomitan) and contracts are negotiated with them to dive the shark.

The Okinawa aquarium is quite large ( I beleive the second largest tank in the world- I know they have the largest single piece of plexiglass ever made for a viewing window on one size) they currently have 3 sharks in the tank along with mantas, stingrays grouper and other critters. Seeing the tank it is full but not overly crowded and they do an outstanding job on educating the public (we have a huge asian tourist market over here) on the dangers to these critters by long line fishing and finning- hopefully it is doing some good.

The shark in the cage at Yomitan has become mostly a u/w zoo- although started as a good idea and a limited amount of research is still being conducted and everyone who dives the shark must sit through an educational lecture on the dangers to sharks worlwide and how to interact with the shark while in the cage; in doing some checking they have started to enforce a don't ride the shark, no grabbing the fins or tail. If the shark comes close enough you are still aloud to pet it or rub its side. The enclosure is a 30meter in diameter circlular enclosure that goes from approx 2-3m below the surface to about 21-23m down so it is quite large. This is far from the perfect arrangement but much better then we see throughout the world for various sea creatures - dolphins, killer whales etc..

For your info there is an aquarium in Atlanta, Georgia, who have also just acquired one... disgusting.
Regards
Simon
The Whale Shark and Oceanic Research Center, Utila.
www.wsorc.com

There is a similar whale shark research programme here in Taiwan, in Hualien, where they study the animals for a short period before releasing them or passing them on to other research establishments. I believe the last animal was transported to the States. The animals are kept in very large skein nets moored offshore and, typically, they are released prior to the arrival of any severe weather (we get a LOT of typhoons) so that there is no risk of entanglement if the net sinks. The same facility runs similar research programmes with manta and mola mola.

The research facility here in Taiwan helps to fund itself by offering small groups of divers the chance to enter the net, on scuba or free-diving, with the shark. From what I have seen in the media the operation is humane and mindful of the welfare and the needs of the animals in their care.

Whilst I have not dived the nets, I know that Taiwan is a country which needs all the education on whale sharks, and indeed sharks generally, that it can get. Su'ao, Taiwan (and probably elsewhere) has a shark fishery and has been known to take whale sharks and the demand for sharkfin soup remains fairly high in the country, though educational programmes may yet yield some success. If more people in the traditional markets for shark and sharkfin can be shown how endangered these species are, and how unsustainable their consumption is, then perhaps we will have a better chance to save them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom