Whale Shark In Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frameless

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was diving Karpata with a group from Captain Don's last Tuesday 3/2/2010 and we spotted a whale shark. We were in about 50 ft of water just off the reef. I've been diving Bonaire for 10 years and have never seen a whale shark. Just want to know if anyone else was lucky enough to see the whale shark at any dive site last week.

Fantastic! You just never know what you're goiing to see.

We heard of one seen the week we were there, 2/21-28, but didn't see it ourselves. There was some heavier plankton around which supposedly brought the dolphins we saw as well. It's all about being in the water as much as possible to get lucky on rare sightings :wink: And on Bonaire, it's easy to dive, dive, dive!

It was me. My buddy and I saw it in 15' of water at 1,000 Steps right by the mooring buoy on Monday, March 1. It was an awesome experience. During my stay in Bonaire I had been struck by the unusual murkiness in the water caused by plankton.

You guys are killing me, all the posts of large animal sightings on Bonaire ---> whale sharks, groups of eagle rays, pod of dolphins. You are setting my new expectations too high! This will be our third trip to the isalnd and I'll need to keep reminding myself... that the largest thing I am likely to see is Charlie the Tarpon and his 11 cousins.

Our trip is only 18 days away but time seems to be going slower and slower the closer we get to our departure date.

Wow, that is the coolest thing I've heard in a while!

In 77 days I'll be in the water at Karpata looking for "el gato"

It's hard to say, it went by so quick, but it looked like a 25/30 footer. The tail was probably 4/5 feet tall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom