Whale shark in Bonaire!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We arrived in Bonaire at 5:30 am and after checking in we went through orientation and did our check-out dive. Our first real dive of the trip was a 2:00 boat dive to Petries Pillar which our DM opted to do as a drift dive due to currents. About half way through the dive we were at 50' and I looked back and saw what looked like a black school bus swimming parallel to our group and gaining fast. It took a moment to realize that I was seeing a whale shark. It just glided past us about 15' away effortlessly. Our DM has been diving here for eight years and neither he nor anyone in the dive op had ever seen one before today.

Congrats on such a rare sighting! Now you are really spoiled. Have a great time on island. 4 more months for me.

It's all in the timing! ............That and good fortune. The dive gods have blessed your trip.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Steve, someone in our group did get a shot of the left side and I will submit it. Vince, I'm afraid I've spent all my luck already!

i am a little (crazy) jealous of your sighting!! Ive been in Bonaire for the last 8 months I havent seen anything eso amazing yet.. this week there was also a manta ray spotted a couple times and several large logger heads. The turtles are moving in for nesting season, but i think the other big critters are moving in for the large numbers of bait fish around the island at the moment! The are so many under our dock right now, and the tarpos, jack etc are going crazy for them all day...

Congrats on your sighting, and heres to hoping your good luck sprinkles around the island!!

Congrats! what an experience, huh?

In 5 maybe 6 years of visiting Bonaire and nearly 175 dives in those waters, I have never seen any truly Large marine life. A couple from our local here, did post pics of a whale Shark they saw on Bonaire a few years back, but yours is the first recent sighting that I have heard of.

Now you have one special memory from Bonaire that will make everyone else quite jealous!

We have just finished 11 days diving in Bonaire (last dive this morning)

In the first five days we were here, we saw 4 manta rays. This was at Calabas:
XUW4dPALwYeKhveQVLlxiQ

UAuW6H2V-A8r1GC3UE_EEA

As well as that one, we saw one at Bari Reef, one at 1000 Steps and another at Jeff Davis Memorial. I also have pictures of the one at Jeff Davis but the one at Bari was too far away and we were not quick enough with our cameras at 1000 Steps.

I have stopped telling people because it sounds too unbelievable!

Back
Top Bottom