Whale Shark season is in high gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that right ? can anyone verify this ? I don't fancy forking out $200 when I've done it before. I want to see the big schools of mantas there. thanks

I did verify in an earier post that the mantas are early season. They are still there now, but not as many as there were two weeks ago.

---------- Post added July 11th, 2013 at 02:12 PM ----------

So guys, do you get to see loads of mantas doing this ? I will be there late july and the purpose of my visit is to swim with mantas. I have swam with something like 50 whalesharks over ten days in the philippines before so am looking for a manta trip. It's purely snorkeling right ?

Purely snorkeling.

Don't count on seeing loads of mantas in late July. The mantas are not even a guarantee in early season - it's a special treat when/if they show up. If the purpose of your trp is to swim with Mantas, you've probably chosen the wrong destination. There are no guarantees and I don't know what your definition of "loads" are - we saw 12 - 20 - but never all together - the most we saw actually together at one time was maybe 5 or 6 - but there were more because they were all spread out

Cool, thanks,
can anyone else add anything to this ? are there any trips which seek out the mantas ?

Would IM be better than holbox ?is it closer to cancun ?
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I did verify in an earier post that the mantas are early season. They are still there now, but not as many as there were two weeks ago.

---------- Post added July 11th, 2013 at 02:12 PM ----------

Purely snorkeling.

Don't count on seeing loads of mantas in late July. The mantas are not even a guarantee in early season - it's a special treat when/if they show up. If the purpose of your trp is to swim with Mantas, you've probably chosen the wrong destination. There are no guarantees and I don't know what your definition of "loads" are - we saw 12 - 20 - but never all together - the most we saw actually together at one time was maybe 5 or 6 - but there were more because they were all spread out

Was just there over July 4th weekend doing the whale sharks, unfortunately all that was there really on our trip this time was mantas.

There was 3 days of bad weather prior to our day of going, the port was closed for 2 days. Boat got out to the location they go to and stopped... bad sign... when the sharks are there, they are on the radio on the way out and they drive right to where they are at, with the other 50 boats.... instead we idled around for an hour.. mantas kept showing up all over... finally after the 3rd attempt of asking them "you don't swim with the mantas?" they finally let us in the water with them... 10 seconds after splashing in with 3 mantas the captain gets the call that a single whale shark has been spotted... everybody back in the boat NOW!!!!... boat is doing 3000 mph, people hanging on for their lives, in a great race of many, many boats all converging on a single whale shark...

I'd rather have stayed swimming with the mantas that were all over the place.

Lesson learned, if there is bad weather, wait a few days before booking a whale shark tour. It takes a few days for the water to warm and the plankton to do their thing. For a couple of days after stormy weather the whale sharks don't come up to feed.

Last July 4th we did the same tour, 150 whale sharks, 0 mantas.

Wow 150 whalesharks and 0 mantas ?
Was this from holbox or IM ? can you stay at IM ?
150 whalesharks in one day, now that does sound impressive.

Cool, thanks,
can anyone else add anything to this ? are there any trips which seek out the mantas ?

Would IM be better than holbox ?is it closer to cancun ?
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

scubajunky - have you read the previous posts in this thread? I covered this very question - actually all of the questions you have asked. I'll add again, that the Mantas are a treat if/when they show up! This area is not known for Manta Rays and there are not "trips out to see the mantas" offered by anyone. If you happen to see one while diving -then you've hit the jackpot here. If you happen to see them during a Whale Shark excursion, that's also a treat - but there is not a specific place they congregate or where they are guaranteed to be found.

Going from Holbox or IM gets you to the same area - the difference is that the boat ride from Holbox is much, much longer! ANd if traveling from Cozumel to get to the Whale Shark experience, IM is much, much closer as well. AS far as a place to stay - IM is heads and shoulders above Holbox for beaches and clear blue water. Holbox is a small quaint fishing village.

Christi:
It's all regulated Ann - but we got PLENTY - also depends on other people on your boat and how tired or sick they get.
Christi:
Isla Mujeres is a MUCH better way to go now - Holbox is no longer the Whale Shark central - they chave to travel from Holbox to the same place the IM operators go - but the boat ride from Holbox is MUCH further. The point is that regardless of who you go with, only 2 ppl at a time are allowed in the water at one time with the guide. They'll stay out as long as people want to keep getting in and the sharks are there - like I said in a previous post, they start diving down deep between noon and 1:00pm anyway.

There is a place off the west coast of Costa Rica called Catalina Rocks. During Feb Mantas always there. Closest and only dive operator that goes there is in the town of Tamarindo. He only has 1 boat 8 divers max. We did 2, 40' 1 hour dives with the Mantas all over us. After lunch we moved to another area with monoliths protruding about 3 miles away and ran into a whale shark. Geared up and spent another hour with it. What a great 3 dives that was! Whale Shark was unexpected and not normally seen in the area.

Just saw more dive ops now go there, here are links
Costa Rica Scuba Dive Vacations, Costa Rica All Inclusive Dive Resorts, Costa Rica DivePackages

http://www.divevacations.com/dive-costarica.asp

Here is a few picks from this weeks trip, lots of tiburones..... whalesharksjuly.jpgwhalesharksjuly2.jpgwhalesharksjuly3.jpgwhalesharksjuly4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom