Whale shark!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ex0dus

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got back from getting my Advanced Open Water on Koh Tao, with Scuba Junction (very good dive centre, IMO).

During our 8th dive last Thursday (I've only got 10 logged so far), we got to see a whale shark at Chumphon Pinnacles during our deep dive!

Hooray!
It saved what might have been a poor dive trip - weather was pretty rough most of the time.

There was an instructor on Koh Tao, can't remember the school, but she worked here for 6 years and never saw one until recently. Luck of the draw but it's quite a sight to be seen.

They're great, aren't they.

Saw one there a month ago, here are some pix.

Aw those are some amazing pictures!
Looked like you got really close to the shark tho - I wasn't sure how far away one should remain when I saw the fish.

Sigh, and now, back to the UK, for another few months of dive-less-ness.

Aw those are some amazing pictures!
Looked like you got really close to the shark tho - I wasn't sure how far away one should remain when I saw the fish.

Sigh, and now, back to the UK, for another few months of dive-less-ness.

It got really close indeed, we were doing a safety stop and it just swam straight at us, we had to move slightly to give it enough space to pass by. In total the whaleshark stayed around for possibly half an hour at least, popping in and out at various depths and places at the dive site. We saw it at 3 or 4 differnent occasions. One being the time it came directly at us!

It was an amazing experience indeed.

The whaleshark even 'harassed' some OW students at the surface whilst they where swimming back to the boat, which was funny to witness, since they had no clue what was checking them out, it was only after they got out of the water they appreciated what happened to them. The whaleshark literally bumped into a few students at the surface.

I wasn't sure how far away one should remain when I saw the fish.

whaleshark10tips_image004_0000.jpg

Like limbo said, sometimes you need to move........
For more info, check here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom