Whale sharks 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from a week in Belize searching for Whale Sharks. Turned out to be a bit of a snipe hunt. :(

We stayed at Isla Marisol Resort on Glover's Reef, about 15 miles north of Gladden Spit. Most of the guests were there to see Whale Sharks. The resort brought one boats (12 divers) to Gladden Spit on Sunday, and two boats on Tuesday and Thursday.

The first day we saw a Bull Shark and a school of Jacks, said to be good signs for seeing Whale Sharks, but we didn't see any. We also saw a pod of Dolphins above us, which made the day worthwhile for me.
Dolphins.jpg

The second day we saw a huge ball of Snappers at about 150'. Eddie, the owner of Isla Marisol, said that this was a good sign. He also said a fisherman reported seeing a Whale Shark on the surface. But can you believe a fish story? :)

The third day we saw a huge group of spawning Horse-eye Jacks, which came up from well below 100' nearly to the surface. Another good sign, we were told. But we saw no Whale Sharks.

We left Belize Saturday morning and did not hear of any divers seeing Whale Sharks.

-Drifter Dan

Wow, that sounds a lot like my trip last month. I guess 2015 isn't a good year for a Whale Sharks. I wonder if it has to with the Full Moons are so early in the month vs. last year they were late in each month. Just my hypothesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a number of people who subscribe to the theory that early in the month doesn't work well for whale sharks - but it is hard to imagine why that would be as we have never seen a whale shark with our Gregorian calendar.

Wow, that sounds a lot like my trip last month. I guess 2015 isn't a good year for a Whale Sharks. I wonder if it has to with the Full Moons are so early in the month vs. last year they were late in each month. Just my hypothesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planning a 2016 trip with some friends (6-8 divers) for whale shark viewing and other diving with the default being based in Placencia, a place I have fished for a number of years. Earlier in this thread there was this post about a live aboard option, but I have not been able to get any information from an email inquiry to Splash. I realize they may be busy, so I thought I would check here......

This year, Splash has added a live aboard option for the May whale shark moon. You cannot dive the Gladden Spit whale shark zone from a live aboard so Splash is planning to use the Aggressor III as a floating hotel near the whale shark zone and to pick up the divers each day for the dives. Guests on the Aggressor III will dive 5 dives a day for 3 days at Lighthouse and then one barrier reef dive and two whale shark dives for 3 days at Gladden Spit. Anyone who is interested can contact Patty at
patricia@splashbelize.com or check it out at Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize LIVE ABOARD WHALE SHARK DIVING MAY 2015 - Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize

At Splash we do not promote whale shark diving in June as June can be a windy month. This year, we got the winds in May and had to cancel a lot of our trips to the whale shark zone. Our boats can handle the waves but it can be tricking getting back on the boat with big waves and particularly so in the case of disorganized seas. This year June has been tranquil. We have had boats out to the whale shark zone for the past three days and saw whale sharks every day. The first day 3, the second day 2 and yesterday was better yet. Normally we use fish finders to find the snapper and put the divers in the water above the snapper and try to keep all in a tight group so that the bubbles will be more concentrated to simiulae the spawn and attract the whale sharks to the divers bubbles. This June, all three days the whale sharks have been found by looking for the birds who follow the bait fish and all three days the whale sharks were there and on surface. Yesterday was especially exciting with about 10 encounters around bait fish and smaller whale sharks approaching within a few feet of snorkelers and seeming to be very curious about what these snorkelers are. The bigger ones ignored the snorkelers and swam away.
Regards
Ralph

---------- Post added June 4th, 2015 at 05:01 PM ----------

Today, Thursday June 4 was another good day for whale sharks - again mainly on surface with the added bonus of a visit by dolphins.
Regards
Ralph

Thursday June 4, 2015 was definitely a great day for whale shark sightings. We were just finishing up a reef dive in the Silk Cayes area and our boat operator followed the bird flocks to hopefully get a chance to see whale sharks. It did not disappoint! https://vimeo.com/129904912

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, we did not go ahead with it. We had lots of people interested but when it came to deposit time ...............

Ralph, did you do the live aboard option this season and if so how did it work out?

---------- Post added June 5th, 2015 at 05:02 PM ----------

Day 5 of the June whale shark moon season and whale sharks encountered again. They were on surface following the bait fish so we had several encounters with the same ones.
Regards
Ralph

---------- Post added June 6th, 2015 at 04:11 PM ----------

Day 6 of the June whale shark moon season and whale sharks encountered again. Splash had a total of 10 encounters with what seemed to be 4 different whale sharks.
Regards
Ralph

Day 7 we got rained out!
Day 8 snorkelers saw whale sharks up close (arms length away)!
Regards
Ralph

Day 9 snorkelers saw whale sharks up close again! This June has been a great one for whale sharks - similar to 2 years ago.
Regards
Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom