Whale Sharks getting in the way of my SeaHorse pictures at CoCoView Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie:
Hey y'all,
I just heard a story and need some verification please. I was just told that Coco View had razor topped barbed wire all around the resort to keep out the really poor people on the island? I know this sounds far fetched but is it true? I was hoping to go there next year but feel kinda weird about staying at an "encampment". Could any of you who have been there or are there now comment on this story? I came hear because I knew I would get the straight scoop!
Thanks
Susie

Of course this is true! To explain just how elitist CoCoView really is I have to devulge even more secrets. The king crab is always welcome near CoCoView, while there are vast armies of security people whose only job is to hunt down and destroy the really poor hermitt crab! How dare they come anywhere near our billionares getaway!

On a more serious note, no there are not any wire fences. Who told you this garbage? CoCoView is about the most friendly to everyone type of place I have ever been to.

Later, Hawk.

Oh man.....that's a great tale to start off my day! Susie, whoever told you that one was either smokin' some wacky weed or breathin' some strange gas! Thanks for the laugh!

There are barbed wire fences and armed security guards as well as guard dogs and flood lights....
Dont know if any of you have ventured down the road past all the guest houses/homes - I bet you would be surprised what you find down there at the end of the road....?
Im not speaking badly of CCV or Roatan-I loved it there....but take a walk or bike down there at night-you'd be surprised!

Drewpy:
There are barbed wire fences and armed security guards as well as guard dogs and flood lights....
Dont know if any of you have ventured down the road past all the guest houses/homes - I bet you would be surprised what you find down there at the end of the road....?
Im not speaking badly of CCV or Roatan-I loved it there....but take a walk or bike down there at night-you'd be surprised!

Your observational description might be a bit incomplete. Next to the chain link fence that ends to property was (the last time I looked in December), a 12' wooden bridge that you could drive a truck across without a password. On the ocean side of that 50' fence is the tangled remnants of what used to be barbed wire, maybe 12' wide x 3' high. This keeps the goats off the resort property from the next house East... or not.

A barking "guard" dog gets posted there (and at the other wide open bridge) between the hours of 11pm and 5am. During the day, there is one unarmed gardener assigned to watch and tend the land in that area. Nada mas. The Director of Security is on premises, but "at ease".

At night, yes there are professional armed guards on premises, as are at every business in Central America. Labor is cheap and property crimes are easy pickins. The difference is that the Director of Security at CCV was the former Honduran Airport Security Director (Military & Civillian) and he has a highly trained staff that is well equipped with communication gear. He is in demand and has provided contract services for the most exclusive of Roatan neighborhoods.

To say that one would feel that they were in an armed camp or anything of the sort would be more than a stretch.

Unless it's changed since last December, and from what I hear- it has not.

Roatan Man and others,

You guys had me in stiches! Dang, so I guess I am a little naive huh?

I heard this story from a dive store manager, a dear friend, who heard I wanted to go to CCV. She had heard it from one of their customers who was on her way to CCV. Silly story! Don't worry, I quickly told her the real scoop from the info you all wrote! This is why I love these boards! People like Dee, who has been the CCV a million, or is it 2 million times? can give you the straight up truth. Although Roatanman's version was extremely funny too!
Thanks you guys!
CCV 2006 for me!
Susie

RoatanMan:
Your observational description might be a bit incomplete. Next to the chain link fence that ends to property was (the last time I looked in December), a 12' wooden bridge that you could drive a truck across without a password. On the ocean side of that 50' fence is the tangled remnants of what used to be barbed wire, maybe 12' wide x 3' high. This keeps the goats off the resort property from the next house East... or not.

A barking "guard" dog gets posted there (and at the other wide open bridge) between the hours of 11pm and 5am. During the day, there is one unarmed gardener assigned to watch and tend the land in that area. Nada mas. The Director of Security is on premises, but "at ease".

At night, yes there are professional armed guards on premises, as are at every business in Central America. Labor is cheap and property crimes are easy pickins. The difference is that the Director of Security at CCV was the former Honduran Airport Security Director (Military & Civillian) and he has a highly trained staff that is well equipped with communication gear. He is in demand and has provided contract services for the most exclusive of Roatan neighborhoods.

To say that one would feel that they were in an armed camp or anything of the sort would be more than a stretch.

Unless it's changed since last December, and from what I hear- it has not.

just make sure to get a map to the minefields on the beaches

or avoid the beaches. there are some minefields inland, but the goats pretty
much cleared those up a while back. just stick to the goat paths and you'll
be ok.

H2Andy:
just make sure to get a map to the minefields on the beaches

or avoid the beaches. there are some minefields inland, but the goats pretty
much cleared those up a while back. just stick to the goat paths and you'll
be ok.

Mongo says, "Goat meat... good."

Dang. You were spoofing?

I was looking forward to a ride in the LST. Haven't been in one of them in years. :(

just another big blue spotty fish.

Nice pics tho RM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom