whale sharks @ richilieu rocks - when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all - I would really like to dive at the Richilieu Rocks in Thailand next to see whale sharks. When is the best season/months to spot them? Thanks in advance for your response.
Ange

For whalesharks at Richelieu Rock and Koh Tachai best time is March.

It would be even better to visit Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, where the last few years we have had more sightings than at Richelieu. Last season was good for whalesharks at both places.

Yep, what Steve said. Last year was epic. It was almost guaranteed you would see a whale shark. And a friend who tour leads on a livaboard in the Similans saw 9. A Thai guide is claiming he saw 22 whale sharks! Not sure I believe that one though. Another instructor friend of mine described HD/HM as "Manta City" last year. :) Hopefully this is an indication that the conservation efforts are finally paying off.

Similans, Surin, Richelieu are open mid-October till April. But HD/HM is open year round, and we are running a HD/HM Koh Ha 2 day 2 night trip Aug. 9th to 11th on the MV Aragon. If anyone is interested you can contact me through the email my signature. :)

Last edited:
<snip>

Similans, Surin, Richelieu are open mid-October till April. But HD/HM is open year round, and we are running a HD/HM Koh Ha 2 day 2 night trip Aug. 9th to 11th on the MV Aragon. If anyone is interested you can contact me through the email my signature. :)
You'd better check that Joe with the national park. We had a trip scheduled to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang on 24 July, but have been told the park is closed and are not allowed there. Considering the group we have on this trip that is fortunately ok for us.

Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and Koh Ha are closed now until October, same as last season...

But last season was very special for the big stuff at these sites. there was a small whale shark seen pretty much everyday for at least a month at Koh Ha, and plenty of mantas a few whale sharks at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang.

Maybe add a few days on Koh Lanta to your trip and dive these sites after a Similans liveaboard...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom