Whaleshark in La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luk

Registered
Reaction score
When is best month/time to see whalesharks in La Paz? I'd like to plan a trip there soon. Is around full moon best time?
Is La Paz worth a dive trip? Or is there somewhere you'd recommend?
Thanks

Hey Luk,

Whale sharks are actually here year round but in the summer months they are harder to find and there are a lot less around. Early September to early April is the most consistent time with the best visibility in the fall and late spring. I'm sure moon cycles affect the plankton in some way but I've never noticed a difference.
La Paz is definitely worth a dive trip, Cabo Pulmo and Cabo San Lucas are within a day trip and there is enough diving for a 2 week vacation between the three places. Best diving is in Sep/Oct with warm waters and good vis. After aboout November visibility goes down and temperatures drop. Still good diving but the difference between the times of year is quite apparent. Diving in the fall is almost like diving in Asia, in the winter it's definitely west coast diving. Sea lions are the main attraction and diving with the juveniles will put a smile on even the most experienced diver. If you do choose to come in the winter or spring you are able to go whale watching, up close encounters with humpbacks and gray whales are guaranteed.

Thank you!

Hey Luk,

Whale sharks are actually here year round but in the summer months they are harder to find and there are a lot less around. Early September to early April is the most consistent time with the best visibility in the fall and late spring. I'm sure moon cycles affect the plankton in some way but I've never noticed a difference.
La Paz is definitely worth a dive trip, Cabo Pulmo and Cabo San Lucas are within a day trip and there is enough diving for a 2 week vacation between the three places. Best diving is in Sep/Oct with warm waters and good vis. After aboout November visibility goes down and temperatures drop. Still good diving but the difference between the times of year is quite apparent. Diving in the fall is almost like diving in Asia, in the winter it's definitely west coast diving. Sea lions are the main attraction and diving with the juveniles will put a smile on even the most experienced diver. If you do choose to come in the winter or spring you are able to go whale watching, up close encounters with humpbacks and gray whales are guaranteed.

Thank you for this info. May I know the water conditions in terms of presence/absence of currents? If present, is it kind of like Coz? How long are the boat rides to the dive sites?

Currents can be strong at a few of the dive sites but all in all it's pretty easy diving. I've never experienced currents that are strong as those in Cozumel but I tend to dive on slack tide. Boat rides vary between 1/2 hr to 2 hours, it depends where you go. All trips are at least 2 tank and about 6 hours minimum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom