what about diving in Sicily, Italy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I haven't been to Egadi but I heard about it. Ustica and Lampedusa are really good though. Near Lampedusa there are various WW2 wrecks.
Check this out too -
http://www.siracusadivingcenter.it/dettagli.asp?imm4=1

As far as Malta, It isn't boring one bit. They speak English as their 2nd language; Italian is used all the time too. French Dutch and German are not uncommon. There is a lot to see in Malta. Gozo which is a 15 minute ferry ride is awesome for diving. The best dives I've ever done were off the coast in Gozo. I would give that place 5 star rating for dives in the Med. Try to buy Ned Middleton’s Diving guide.

Cheers

Lawrence D

watersprite:
Did anyone here dive in Sicily, Italy? what is it like?

Look forward to hearing about it. Thanks a lot in advance!

watersprite
Hi!
I'm italian from Milano and I started in sicily my scuba adventure. in the island of Favignana, part of the Egadi Islands, there's a nice diving CMAS with proper guides and instructors. there's plenty of diving sites to choose from, witha couple of wrecks.
the islands around are very nice, although very hot in August.
you can take a look at the web page www.progettoatlantide.com
have fun and dive safe!
Paolo

i am an american that is stationed in sicily with the military. i am absolutely obsessed with diving now that i am here, and can say that sicily has some pretty awesome dives. there are several wrecks from WWII, and the lava rock coastline makes for some great scenery. i highly recommend the islands a little north of sicily, but if you just want to fly into CATANIA, the east coast has some neat dives. if you want a good dive shop's web page i use www.idelfini.it, they are absolutely great people and are always going on dives. if you want more info pleas e-mail me

So glad to see this thread; I'm covering a story in Sicily and we will be cruising. I'm going to book an extra day at the nearest port - don't know where that will be yet - and try to do a couple dives. Thanks for the info; keep it coming!

let me know when over! ciao, Marco

BlueGirlGoes:
So glad to see this thread; I'm covering a story in Sicily and we will be cruising. I'm going to book an extra day at the nearest port - don't know where that will be yet - and try to do a couple dives. Thanks for the info; keep it coming!

Hi BlueGirlGoes,

well, I have been to Sicily! It was great! It's a beautiful island, lots of things to see & do, very friendly people, fantastic food, etc etc.
Unfortunately I didn't dive!! I was quite disappointed it didn't work out. One day it was raining all the time so we figured it wasn't nice enough to dive, the other day we tried to go diving, the diving school was closed! If you plan to go diving, you could check out Syracuse Dive Center. They are just outside of Syracusa and they seemed to be quite professional. They have a beautiful dive center and the owner was very friendly. Too bad they weren't open yet when I was there though, so I can't comment on the diving itself.
Anyhow... let me know how it was if you do get to scuba dive there!

Regards,
watersprite

Back from Sicily,

I wish I'd gone with another outfit ... I can NOT recommend DiveSicily (divesicily.com) on Taormina. Alex was very prompt with email, but that was the end of the professionalism. We departed over an hour late (after being kitted up) and had to lug all of our equipment down a steep set of stairs. (Alex has a "bad back" and does not believe in hiring dive staff, apparently.) I was given a set of fins that were too big and no help with determining weighting in a 5mm wetsuit. (I usually dive a skin or 3mm.)

When I got in the water (this was for the Roman columns dive), it was obvious the fins weren't going to work. Alex said, "Oh, you're just kicking too much, it will be fine." I wasn't weighted properly, and the little voice inside my head said, "What are you DOING??!!" So I went back to the Zodiac while the others dived. I've never called a dive before, but I know I did the right thing. During that time I adjusted my weights so at least THAT was right.

After the group surfaced - the concensus on the columns was "You didn't miss anything" - Alex took us to another dive shop/coffee bar where they had fins my size. (He had said that he was "taking us for coffee" but this meant "our treat." There were no beverages or water aboard the boat.)

Dive Two was shallow and my fins fit so I managed. However, Alex spent all of his time holding the flashlight for his girlfriend to take pictures and barely glanced at his group of divers. Good divemaster R Not Us. Then - after the Zodiac ran out of PETROL - we went back and lugged all the gear up to his shop. He declined to refund for my missed dive, needless to say.

Diver beware - I'm glad others have had good experiences in the area.

Hello Watersprite. Malta is not near the Red Sea but only about 75 miles below Sicily. We are the little spot right below Sicily so just an hour away by plane!! Lots of culture to look at for the non divers, besides the diving. Anyways if you do pop on down we are on the next Island Gozo. Stop in for a coffee!!!

mobymark:
Hello Watersprite. Malta is not near the Red Sea but only about 75 miles below Sicily. We are the little spot right below Sicily so just an hour away by plane!! Lots of culture to look at for the non divers, besides the diving. Anyways if you do pop on down we are on the next Island Gozo. Stop in for a coffee!!!

Hi Mobymark,

I don't understand why you seem to think that I thought that Malta is near the Red Sea? :06: haha... it sounds too funny! :) I was just looking at several destinations to go to, Malta was one, as well as Sicily and Egypt.

Anyhow.. if I ever come to Malta & Gozo (I think I will, I heard some good stories about the diving there!) I will definitely stop by for a coffee!!!!

Watersprite

watersprite:
Did anyone here dive in Sicily, Italy? what is it like?

Look forward to hearing about it. Thanks a lot in advance!

watersprite

I dived in Taoramina Sicily in 1990. We went right off the beach at the Grand Albergo Taormina. Right off the beach there we were at the lost marble columns, found lots of coral, many of the lost "circle stone" anchors. Plus there is a little rock island there that was teeming with fish life.

If you get out there at sunrise you can expect to see swimming wild dolphin.

It's a while ago but I do recall the visiblity being in the 10-20 meter range and the most blue water I have seen.

If you get a copy of The Big Blue (cult film on free diving) you will see the area I am talking about when they are having pasta on the seashore.

I got my tanks when I was there at the "California Car Rental" but there are a few dive shops around and I am sure you can get someone to take you out. You can also head down the coast a bit to Naxos and do some diving there.

If I was to pick a place in the world to live it would be Taormina.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom