What About Nicaragua? -- Little Corn Island Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inkedadventurer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,Yesterday I dove off Little Corn Island of Nicaragua's Caribbean coast with the dive shop, Dive Little Corn.I have to say, I really enjoy this island and the diving here was pretty good.Feel free to read about my day of diving in my blog posthttp://www.inkedadventurer.com/activities/diving/diving-destinations-dive-little-corn/Thanks,Amy

Last edited:
We just got home on Monday from LCI. We LOVED The crew at Dolphin Dive. Glad to see others who enjoyed their experience there.

doc at cocoview said corn islands are what roatan used to be.. i want to go so bad.

How were the bugs; just like Roatan too? :) seriously though,I would like to know. I've heard bad things about the bugs suggedting worse than Roatan. TIAZ

How were the bugs; just like Roatan too? :) seriously though,I would like to know. I've heard bad things about the bugs suggesting worse than Roatan. TIAZ

I've been 3x's and they have no sand flies, and the skeeters are minimal. It's a charming island, I wouldn't go exclusively for the diving but for a trip to a small tropical Caribbean island that has lots of character, is really affordable, and has some decent diving it fit's my bill. I have a couple of trip reports about LCI on this board if your curious.

I found the Corn Islands by way of an airline seat pocket magazine article a few years back that spiked my curiosity, and did some research. At the time there was only one small resort and dive op. What research did tell me is that Little Corn was relative rustic and safe, but Corn Island (or Big Corn) had become a small traffic hub for drugs in the Caribbean. Now that, plus the logistics of getting there, was enough to steer me away, so never did a Little Corn trip. We did have a group of friends ready to go but we collectively agreed to take a pass. In retrospect, we probably should have gone, but…. I hope things are not as bad as "reported" on Big Corn these days. I'd welcome any current news.

What research did tell me is that Little Corn was relative rustic and safe, but Corn Island (or Big Corn) had become a small traffic hub for drugs in the Caribbean. In retrospect, we probably should have gone, but…. I hope things are not as bad as "reported" on Big Corn these days. I'd welcome any current news.

LCI is rustic, and what I would call safe. There is a lot of Cocaine traffic going up the coast that makes it's way past the Corn Islands. It's not rare to see US Coast Guard planes overhead.
I've never heard of drug violence on LCI, and never been offered "white lobster". I don't know what's being "reported" about Big Corn, but I can see how people might take it as not safe. It's quite a bit bigger than Little Corn so the locals can be much more anonymous and it definitely has a rundown, industrial look to it.

I lived on Big Corn for two years doing a USAID project. Big Corn is a great island and not some narco traffic hub. Yes, there are drugs there. I lived in west Baltimore for many years and there are lots of drugs there, too. As well as here in Sarasota. If you go looking for trouble, you'll surely find it. You're missing out on a wonderful place to hang out, do some great snorkeling and diving and enjoy the old Caribbean life. That being said, exercise normal precautions such as not leaving things unattended on the beach or other places in public and don't walk on the beach late at night. Go and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom