What advice for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

I am brand new to diving, and about to take my PADI open water in Thailand, I have signed up for the e-learning to get up to speed, but what other advice would you give a newbie?

Tony

My blog about learning to dive: tonysdiveholiday

Never ever hold your breath... Learn that, and everything else is golden...

remember when you drop below the surface to BREATH. Your brain will tell you to hold your breath you cand breath under water . this aint right. The first couple timse I went diving to 30'++ my heart went 100 miles an hour (so if felt like) it took a minut or so for me to callm down and tell myself you CAN do this you have all you need to breath . take it nice and slow there is NO rush go at your own pace . Just let your buddy know how you feel or that you need to go slow , that you are new . We ALL have been there at one time . Most will understand if not they are not a good buddy. good luck and injoy . WELLCOME TO DIVING AND SCUBA BOARD

If you have any access to a pool, spend some time there snorkeling. Practice clearing your mask and clearing a snorkel, and maybe some pike skin diving. Any time you spend becoming comfortable in the water and comfortably with a mask and snorkel will pay off in spades in your certification class.

I saw this post and figured it was ideal - my first post, replying to your first post!

Welcome to Scuba-Diving, Tony - best of luck with your OW, I hope you have a great time! Can't agree more with the replies you've already received - anything you can do to make yourself more comfortable in the water will be a big help for your course and future diving. I used to do a lot of snorkelling in the sea before I started on scuba - any opportunity to practice basics like your finning technique (kick from the hip, not the knees!) and your breathing (nice, relaxed, deeep breaths!) means that there are two less things to concentrate so much on once you start doing other tasks and skills during your course.

Another important thing to remember is to take your training at your own pace - buddies and instructors will be totally behind you one this - don't feel pressured by anything other than the sea... you're not there to compare to or compete with anyone other than yourself.

Enjoy it! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom