What all metal regulator should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that Poseidon's reputation for being a difficult regulator to service is undeserved. I found the manuals online, and they've been fairly straight forward. Maybe it's just hard to find someone who is "certified" to work on them? I have been told to set the IP from 135-150 PSI on the Cyclon because of free flow. I did that initially so I could attach both my Jet Steam and Cyclon 2nd stages to the same first stage for single cylinder diving off recreational boats---no problems.

I'm with you.

And there's always hose adapters
and opv's if that's what you're into.

You'd have to get a rather old Cyclon to get a metal one. MARES makes a metal reg ... but the modern plastic regs are, IMHO, just fine.

As far as I know, the metal Cyklon is still being produced, called, appropriately, the "Cyklon Metal", and notably more expensive than it's plastic brother.

However, I think the old Cyklon 300s breathe better than the new ones. The new first stage is arguably better, but something about the old Cyklon seconds are different. My first reg, (still have it), was a 1973-vintage Cyklon 300, bought with the original box. Except for the 1/8" BPT hoses, it is an awesome reg. I upgraded the first stage to the new 3950 model for 3/8" hoses, but I still have the original.

Protip for anyone who is interested in the Cyklon: it runs a higher IP than most modern regs: 174-181psi versus 125-145psi, so if you get a Cyklon, you have to have a Cyklon for your backup (octo), or retune your existing octo, (if possible) to work at the higher IP. Otherwise, the backup will leak gas or freeflow. Same goes for using a Cyklon octo on a conventional reg, (though I'm not sure the Cyklon second can be detuned for a lower IP), at a lower IP, the Cyklon breathes hard, since it's set-up for a higher IP.

I friggin LOVE the old Cyklon regs, but they are a different beast, and are quirky compared to a more conventional reg design. That said, they breathe like nothing else, and are tough as nails. It's also been in constant production since 1958. It hasn't changed because it hasn't had to. They got it right the first time.

I also love my old Cyclons, they are great regs, but as 50Fathom noted they can not be swapped with second stages from conventional regulators.

Also, I agree on the "Poseidons are hard to service" being a bunch of bunk.

Finding a good tech can be hard, but if they're good, you're golden. As far as working on them yourself, it's no harder than any other reg, IMHO.

Yes, parts and distribution have been an issue in the past, but now, that is pretty well sorted with Poseidon USA being very good about taking care of dealers and customers.

I wouldn't hesitate to get one, if I didn't already have so many!

I use Scubapro, their A700/Mk25 I have only used Scubapro but they are very good.

My Cyclon 2nd stage used to be plastic. One of my stage bottles fell over before a dive and snapped off the diaphram. I converted it to metal with some parts from a LDS pretty cheaply and easily. Looks pretty too!

I have always had the IP set at 135 PSI, and am told that this is common practice. This was my primary at one time, and now it's for my bail out.

Back
Top Bottom