What are some specific examples of biologists saving species?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The classic example is the Brown Pelican in Southern California. Before they banned DDT, (thanks to Rachel Carson) their egg shells where so thin the survival rate of chicks was horrendous. In the Seventies, you could spend all day on the water and never see a Pelican. Now the damn things are all over the place.

dpbishop:
The classic example is the Brown Pelican in Southern California. Before they banned DDT, (thanks to Rachel Carson) their egg shells where so thin the survival rate of chicks was horrendous. In the Seventies, you could spend all day on the water and never see a Pelican. Now the damn things are all over the place.

you some starlings, grackles, mourning dove, and pigeons for a few pelicans...

Oh yeah, please give generously to help save the baby Smallpox.

dpbishop:
Oh yeah, I forgot about Rachel Carson. But her efforts weren't directed to specific species protection. She was a champion of overall ecological health. She's asscociated more with the Jacques Cousteau/Silvia Earle crowd, which act as "spokesmen for the environment".

There's a general tradeoff where biologists have to sacrifice their research time in order to work in a lobbying or public education capacity. The same goes for biologists that get promoted to senior administrative positions, like regional fisheries directors and department heads. Thus the most popularly known biologists barely perform any research at all. The irony is not lost on these eminently valuable folks.

As an aside, the U.S. still produces buttloads of DDT. We are a major exporter, contributing to thinning pelican eggshells across the world, especially in south and central america. The public is rarely made aware of this fine point.

And believe it or not (Uncle Ricky will get a kick out of this), the whitetailed deer was all but extinct in the southeastern United States until the late 1930's when a program was launched to re-establish them in their native territories.

The Kraken:
And believe it or not (Uncle Ricky will get a kick out of this), the whitetailed deer was all but extinct in the southeastern United States until the late 1930's when a program was launched to re-establish them in their native territories.
Ha, check out this website. This is a great example of genetic bottlenecking, in this case caused by a lot of fencing. It ain't just the tails that are white on these babies!
http://senecawhitedeer.org/history/history.htm

Northern elephant seals, Guadalupe fur seals, sea otters...

Rick Murchison:
Well, lessee... recently, they've brought the 1918 bird flu virus back from the abyss, and they're keeping a little smallpox around just for grins & giggles...
Rick :)

Hey Rick... Not sure I'd call them folks biologists since biologists study life. I'd prefer to call them thanatologists!

archman:
As an aside, the U.S. still produces buttloads of DDT. We are a major exporter, contributing to thinning pelican eggshells across the world, especially in south and central america. The public is rarely made aware of this fine point.

How true Archman. My housemate is from Costa Rica and protested this in her native country. I remember the days of my youth when they literally sprayed us with DDT while fighting mosquitoes in my neighborhood. Maybe that explains why I grew gills later in life... mutation!

Hunters have been responsible for saving many species, especially though from northern africa and India. Blackbuck, Addax, Arabian Oryx, Barasinga and dama gazelle are just a few examples of animals that are exinct or nearly extinct in the wild but are numerous in texas on hunting ranches. PETA and other activist groups freak out at this, but they also can't claim that they have actively participated in saving animals from extinction. Animals that exist in greater numbers in texas than in their native land: Blackbuck, Arabian oryx, Scimitar Oryx, Barasinga, Pere David Deer, Addax and some others that I can't remember. These same people who hunt them create economic value for the animal (instead of just feed competition for cattle) and have actually reintroduced hundreds of blackbuck back into India so the population can recover.

drbill:
Often it is the biologist studying species and ecosystems that recognize the problem in the first place, and that lobby or use their research to make the case before legislators (often in conjunction with environmental groups). Legislators are reactive and usually not aware of problems in the biological realm unless brought to their attention.

I concur with drbill and have seen this first hand in Florida. It often takes a group effort (biologists, enivronmental groups, industry, and legislation) to make a difference for a species' survival. The manatee (http://research.myfwc.com/features/category_main.asp?id=1629), would be an example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom