What are the current water conditions off Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F106A

Contributor
Reaction score
NJ, GSP Exit 36 (24,000' from the Atlantic)
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be diving in the Key Largo/Tavernier area Saturday through Wednesday (8/15-18) and wondered what kind of bottom temps are being reported on the Spiegel, Eagle and Duane. Four weeks ago it was 85-87 on the surface and 20 degrees cooler at 100'. Just trying to figure which wetsuit to pack. TIA, Jack

Look on Conch Republics web site. On the calendar, the "dive log" for past dives gives vis and temp.

Water temps were 86 degrees top to bottom. I was diving the Spiegel all weekend, and did the Bibb yesterday.

Visibility was great, but the currents were moderate on the wrecks. That could change considerably though (daily) depending on the position of the gulf stream.

diving all week on a photo charter with ocean divers, sites 20-30ft 86F, 50-80ft 84-86F, viz has been great all week, 40-90+ft, with mdt sw currents(yesterday north of conch wall on the aquarious underwater habitat, viz was 90+ @ 60ft, mdt current). outlook for the weekend calls for increasing winds and seas as a tropical wave approaches monroe county on saturday,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

These weather stations only give the temp near the surface. We've had a summer full of big thermoclines. Last weekend it was in the mid-50s on wrecks out past 200' but still 85 top to bottom on wrecks inside 130'.
A month ago it was in the 60s on those same wrecks inside 130'.

Last edited:
I was on Molasses today. Viz was 80+, 86 degrees and that electric blue color.

We give daily water temps at the dive sites we visit. It's located on our Online Dive Calendar. Just look for dives posted from past days and click on them.

Hope this helps.

Good Diving,

Today the waters were very nice 87 in Key Largo. Went out to South South Ledges and Mikes wreck both were great. Saw huge Goliath groupers, snappers that were at least two meals,lobsters, turtles only two, and a nurse shark. what was strange was I did not see one ell but we did see something that we don't normally see on the reefs very much, two dolphin fish on SSL Very nice dives today.

Thanks all, for the replies. HowardE hit the nail on the head with ~"...86 from soup to nuts." Just a 2MM shorty for the next few days. Just reserved with Gary/Brenda for Sunday AM & PM. Will play it by ear Monday through Wednesday with the SE wind and all. Expect a full G rated report upon my return home.

"Shoes for industry!"

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom