What are the differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watersquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Help!
I'm about the start my certification tomorrow night, and I'm just wondering what is the difference between Scuba Schools International and Padi and NAUI. I've read books, and just want to know is one recognized over the others? Will I have problems getting dives thru dive shops that have different certification than what I will have when I finish my course? I've read about the article that caused the lawsuit, and I've also read the actual article on Divelink. So, Is there a REAL difference on who's certification card you hold or carry when you go out to dive in the REAL world? I'm excited about finally getting my certification, but I want to know if there something specific I need to know about the different diving schools. I'll look forward to reading your responses, and thanks for your help! Hope to see you in the water!

All three (and many others) are recognized world wide, You won't have any trouble on that count. The differences are in the standards which may or may not relate to differences in your individual class. If you are careful in your selection of an instructor, you can find excellent instructors with any agency. I'd run from any instructor from any agency who teaches the minimum standards of their agency, look for some one who adds to the course.

Walter is right (and I have found that he usually is)! No matter what the Agency is it is the Instructor that makes the course.

I took a weekend PADI course (very poor because of the Instructor & the time we had). Never take a weekend course for your basic Open Water. Not enough time to absorb the material and ask questions! Did my OW checkout with a NAUI instructor (from the same shop) and all 8 of my specialities have been through SSI - because I found a great instructor who takes the time to make sure you understand the material - not just get through it in a certain amount of time.

I have done 6 trips to the Caribbean area and not one Live Aboard or Shop questioned any of my c-cards.

Happy Bubbles
Becky

All three of the above agencies are recognized. Pick an instructor who will actually teach you to dive and not just get you through the skills and out of his class. You should do fine! Keep us posted!

I want to thank ya'll for your information and your comments, made me more relaxed going into my class tonight (Tuesday). I really think I got a great instructor. He is the Vice President of our dive shop and he said tonight he will do anything and teach us anything to make sure we are good divers, and at all times will be as safe as possible. He will teach us the material as well as teach us all the useful skills he has learn through his 20 years of experience. He also stated he would take as long as necessary to make sure we get certified. I think he will be a very good instructor. We get wet Thursday night! Thanks again for the information my new friends.

From a recognition standpoint, the biggest difference is that SSI puts "diving since..." on your c-card instead of the date issued. So if you get an AOW card later it will have your orignal date of OW certification on it. IF, when filling out the waivers for a dive, you put the date it was issued on the form and then show someone your card you might confuse them.

Cornfed

If you want to go professional, probably PADI, then NAUI. They're the big ones.
I'm just going to stay with open water recreational diving. I have a OADI OW Cert and am taking advanced from a PDIC shop. My Lord what a difference in the manuals. The PADI manual is all about advertising travel, more courses, pro training, insurance etc etc. And basic skills. The PDIC manual just tells it like it is and can be unnerving to the reader. One lures the reader into a world of fun and adventure, the other says - "this is cool, but here's what can happen if you don't have training - or even if you do have training." Also the PDIC manual covers history of SCUBA, and some physical geography which is very interesting. The PDIC manual also covers the various physical complications that can occur like bends, barotrauma etc. and reading it is quite sobering as you get a clear idea of what happens in your body. It also mentions that you really don't have a buddy and have to keep in mind constantly a plan for emergencies that can cope with whatever your present situation.
For an older guy, I like the PDIC. I believe it would dissuade many people fron diving if they were new to the sport.

pops once bubbled...
For an older guy, I like the PDIC. I believe it would dissuade many people fron diving if they were new to the sport.

I wonder if that's really such a bad thing.

Naui came first and is a not-for-profit organisation where the board members are voted for by the registered members. Some Naui board members wanted to go professional and broke from Naui to start the Professional ass. of diving instructors.(Padi)
They have done some great things with selling diving and are the largest association in the world, with Naui a distant second.
The differences between Padi and Naui as far as training goes is negligable and are more noticable from an instructors level. You will get an excellent cert from either agency. SSI is another professional agency that is smaller than the other 2 and is from an instructors point of view, a shop based organisation. SSI instructors MUST work out of an SSI shop, whereas Naui and Padi allow their instructors to freelance at any shop or dive operation, and even start their own. Their are differences with tables. The Naui tables are not as good as the padi wheel, which is great for multi-level dives, but expensive. SSI have the most accurate tables as they are based on the Doppler scale, but none of this is really relevant at the entry level. The best thing to do is to find an good instructor and a shop you are comfortable with and have some fun. You can cross over to any agency you want. I am certified with Padi, Naui, Cmas, NZUA and can teach in 2 agencies. It's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.
It's really all business related. Mcdonalds or Burger King? You pick.
Hope that helps,

The one and only,
Gasman

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom