What are the medically proven symptoms of a Reverse Block?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apologize if this appears twice as I thought I just posted but apparently did not take? Long story short following a wreck dive to 82 feet in Isla Mujeres last week (C-55) one of the divers in the boat who was with a different group was not faring so well when back at the boat. The profile we dove was at the maximum limt for no Deco based on the PADI tables for Air. Based on my timer we began ascent not one minute too soon. Safety stop was 3 mins. The dive was very draining with strong current at both top and bottom. I would characterize the ascent as normal. We took our time. DM even deployed a SMB at 20. The diver in question (was not in my group so I have to assume no issue during the dive that anyone noticed) when back on the boat began vomitimg. He did this for about 20 mins. By the time we got back to the dock he had stopped vomiting and was not deteriorating. He did obviously look pale and it was clear we was not a happy camper. Others on the boat said he had a reverse block. Never had one (knock on wood) so I am wondering if perhaps there could have been more? Oxygen was not administered on the boat. Is this truly a legitimate symptom for a reverse block? he was complaning of a stong headche.
George

The dive was very draining with strong current at both top and bottom. I would characterize the ascent as normal. We took our time. DM even deployed a SMB at 20. The diver in question (was not in my group so I have to assume no issue during the dive that anyone noticed) when back on the boat began vomitimg. He did this for about 20 mins. By the time we got back to the dock he had stopped vomiting and was not deteriorating. He did obviously look pale and it was clear we was not a happy camper. Others on the boat said he had a reverse block. Never had one (knock on wood) so I am wondering if perhaps there could have been more? Oxygen was not administered on the boat. Is this truly a legitimate symptom for a reverse block? he was complaning of a stong headche.
George

Without actually being there I would suggest that the diver's breathing got out of control due to the current, the diver entered a shallow breathing spiral, resulting in nausea from too much C02. Current+Strong headache+vomiting = C02 retention in my books.

Reverse blocks are equalisation problems- they generally wouldn't cause vomiting on the surface. They are rare but do happen, especially if a diver has done a lot of up/down.

Symptoms of a reverse block: an air-space (eg. ears) will cause pain during ascent. Diver needs to descend until pain goes away, wait until air-space equalises before ascending. Forced ascent may rupture something. In my case a whole bunch of black snot shot out of my nose and pain was excrutiating on the surface- making a grown man cry :)

Thanks for the insights. Makes one realize how important it is to breathe correctly. Sounds like your experience was no fun to say the least.

also nasal conjestion causes headaches and vomitting :wink: happened to me lot of times

sent from inner peace

Did the diver complain of feeling as though he was spinning or whirling in space? Incomplete equalization of the ears can result in vertigo, which can cause vomiting. Usually, the nausea and vertigo occurs DURING the ascent, but if the pressure difference is maintained upon reboarding, I can imagine it causing nausea on the boat.

Reverse block causes severe pain. My experience with it was that it felt as though someone had driven an ice pick through my left cheekbone. It was simply impossible to ascend further.

Reverse block and alternobaric vertigo are two different things.

Did the diver complain of feeling as though he was spinning or whirling in space? Incomplete equalization of the ears can result in vertigo, which can cause vomiting. Usually, the nausea and vertigo occurs DURING the ascent, but if the pressure difference is maintained upon reboarding, I can imagine it causing nausea on the boat.

Reverse block causes severe pain. My experience with it was that it felt as though someone had driven an ice pick through my left cheekbone. It was simply impossible to ascend further.

Reverse block and alternobaric vertigo are two different things.

Hello TSandM -

You said that it was "impossible to ascend further." What did you do?

I never have had reverse block but I am sometimes a slow equalizer (62years old) and have hoped I will never have trouble going up. There comes a time (Air is gone) when you must come up.

- By the way, I am from the Oregon Coast and my buddy and I will be diving Washington next weekend. We dive year around and the bloom at Yaquina Bay/Newport has decreased our vis to 1 1/2 feet. We really look forward to Hoodsport (Mike's Beach - got my favorite room with balcony & across from hot-tub). Hope the vis is great !!!

Anyways, what did you do about the Reverse Block? Thank you.

I went down a few feet until the pain resolved, and then ascended again VERY VERY slowly and got away with it.

If I'd been unable to abate the pain, I would have had to bear it. Just as landing is the one required maneuver in flying, surfacing is the one required maneuver in diving. If I blew out my inner ear or ruptured a sinus, that could be lived with; drowning couldn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom